Next Manager Betting Odds

We need someone who can come in and bring confidence and life back into our ‘quiet’ squad of players.

Jackie Charlton and Bobby both played for England and were in the 1966 World Cup winning team.

Jackie did a good job as manager of the Republic of Ireland, but Bobby didn’t have success as a manager.

So you can have really good ex players who just don’t cut the mustard as managers.

We used to hear why players signed for our club and Eddie Howe’s name was mentioned by nearly all of them.

So whoever gets the job has to stamp his authority, but at the same time gain the respect of the players and get 100% performance out of them on the pitch.

Any ‘bad eggs’ that come to the fore that would disrupt the harmony of the dressing room should be dealt with straightaway.

The Cherries fans have been brought up watching on the whole, exciting and entertaining football and for me that is want I want to see from the next manager.

John Terry odds on favourite? With his background? Seriously?

In what conceivable way would he be a good fit with the image of the club?

Just…why?

Surely not.
But what is our clubs image? For the vast majority of our time (about 90 out of 100 years) it has been a small club sitting comfortably in the 3rd or 4th tier of English football. The very occasional cup run and promotion and relegation between the 3rd and 4th tier. (we never got promoted or relegated until 1970 !!). We never had a reputation for anything. 3 years with John Bond were great.
We then had a 10 year period of complete garbage and awful football until a brief interlude with Harry Redknapp. That was followed by another pretty awful period with Pulis. Machin's football wasn't that exciting, nor O'Driscols, nor Bond, nor Quinn, etc etc.
The last 10 years have seen good football mostly but I still don't buy our great footballing image - it has been a brief interlude in a very average history. I would bet most clubs would be able to say the same and point to periods of great football.
Great football equals winning in most supporters eyes and when you have been average for most of your history that means for me that the football has been average as well.
No prospective new manager or player is going to look at us and say wow AFCB, I really want to go there because of their reputation/image. They will look at us as an team that is punching above its weight historically with a small ground and supporter base. they will also know they have at best 18 months to get us back to the PL or the money really dries up re parachute payments.

Problem with signing any of these big name, fashionable types is any small modicum of success and they get poached by bigger clubs.

Frank Lampard the case in point. It wouldn’t take much for a John Terry or Patrick Viera to stick a run of 10 games unbeaten, miss out on promotion via the play-offs and then get the Crystal Palace job or the Fulham job etc and be gone.

But if a Lee Johnson or Nathan Jones did the same, they wouldn’t get much of a look in and would continue here looking at a longer term project.

Not making any real case, just an observation.

Problem with signing any of these big name, fashionable types is any small modicum of success and they get poached by bigger clubs.

Frank Lampard the case in point. It wouldn’t take much for a John Terry or Patrick Viera to stick a run of 10 games unbeaten, miss out on promotion via the play-offs and then get the Crystal Palace job or the Fulham job etc and be gone.

But if a Lee Johnson or Nathan Jones did the same, they wouldn’t get much of a look in and would continue here looking at a longer term project.

Absolutely correct.
What I really think is important is that we break this promote a manager from within or take on an ex player because they know the club ethos.

I was thinking this with Terry. Assuming he did well, would he actually want to manage any one in the top flight other than Chelsea? So long as that job didn’t come up, we might have a chance to keep him. Lampard on the other hand probably willing to chance his arm with any big club now that Chelsea have given him the boot.

Agree that any other names that are not so synonymous with one club would probably jump at the first opportunity of a Palace or a Newcastle

Agree with what you say.

I'd only add that in our current situation, we have perhaps a couple of years whereby we can challenge at this level with this squad. If it doesn't work in that time, we will be readjusting downwards I should think.

So if we did bring in say a Lampard or Terry, realistically the job in hand for them is medium term anyway. They'll either get us promoted in the coming season or two and attract interest from elsewhere, or they will not and they will probably not be interested in required the downsizing, and will look elsewhere anyway.

As a 2-3 year project, we might suit all parties.

I think we're often seen as a bit of a goody-goody club. Nice upmarket area, cute little ground, friendly fans, no natural rivals, a typical "Southern Softie" image.

And Eddie Howe accentuated that with his choirboy looks, and his measured, civilised way of speaking.

We're sort of a cross between Fulham and Torquay.

I really hope we don"t go down the lazy ex star player route.......we need a manager with experience.....who plays a style of football that'll excite us ........as I've said that man is Valerian Ismael imo.......he's perfect for us.
Other than that David Wagner would be okay.

David Wagner - from Wiki -

On 9 May 2019, Wagner was appointed as manager of Bundesliga club Schalke 04 on a three-year contract until 30 June 2022.[24] In the second half of the 2019–20 season, Schalke set a new club record of 16 league games without a win between 25 January and 27 June 2020.[25] The winless streak continued with an 0–8 defeat against Bayern Munich in the first match of the 2020–21 season.[26] After a 1–3 defeat against Werder Bremen, the 18th winless league match in a row, Wagner was sacked on 27 September 2020.[27]

David Wagner - from Wiki -

On 9 May 2019, Wagner was appointed as manager of Bundesliga club Schalke 04 on a three-year contract until 30 June 2022.[24] In the second half of the 2019–20 season, Schalke set a new club record of 16 league games without a win between 25 January and 27 June 2020.[25] The winless streak continued with an 0–8 defeat against Bayern Munich in the first match of the 2020–21 season.[26] After a 1–3 defeat against Werder Bremen, the 18th winless league match in a row, Wagner was sacked on 27 September 2020.[27]
Well that's him of the list....:grinning:

To bring some reality into the equation let's not forget it will be Hughes and Blake making the decision with no doubt some input from Uncle Harry.

;