Non Hampshire cricket

I admit my knowledge on these things is very sketchy as I'm more a score checker than a real supporter but given they should have the top(ley) bowler they signed last season who was immediately injured back, a hopefully injury free overseas player and the Kolpacks they picked up, aren't they now strong enough to potentially be top four material?

I know it's a big leap but last season seemed absolutely exceptional on the injuries front and they still nearly escaped. Given a reasonably fit squad then last season they would maybe have finished two or three places higher. Factor in the strengthening done and... well, we'll see.

kirsikka - 9/4/2017 18:58

I admit my knowledge on these things is very sketchy as I'm more a score checker than a real supporter but given they should have the top(ley) bowler they signed last season who was immediately injured back, a hopefully injury free overseas player and the Kolpacks they picked up, aren't they now strong enough to potentially be top four material?

I know it's a big leap but last season seemed absolutely exceptional on the injuries front and they still nearly escaped. Given a reasonably fit squad then last season they would maybe have finished two or three places higher. Factor in the strengthening done and... well, we'll see.

I hope so as well. They also have Carberry back and Vince, Dawson, Crane and Allsop have all had recent international experience.

I'm looking forward to this season.

Still find it strange that County over the border gets attention on this forum....it's a bit like supporting Soton football when you come from Bournemouth.

davygravy - 10/4/2017 11:19

Still find it strange that County over the border gets attention on this forum....it's a bit like supporting Soton football when you come from Bournemouth.

Well plenty of us were born when Bournemouth was in Hampshire and watched Hampshire when they played in Bournemouth. Hampshire is our local county cricket team. To me, it would be strange than we didn't support them.

As for the result, excellent. Thought it was more fo the same after the debacle in the first innings but chasing 320 in the 4th inning anywhere is a great achievement.

Going to be a very tight division this year.

I seem to recall that for the purposes of actual ceremonial counties (which is what Dorset and Hampshire both are) then Bournemouth is still in Hampshire. The Local Government boundary changes of 1974 were effectively negated when the councils became unitary authorities. I also seem to recall that a question was asked about this in Parliament 15 or 20 years ago and the response was that Bournemouth is indeed in Hampshire and if Hansard says so, then it's true.

Royal Mail require only a house number and postcode to deliver, so Name, number, TOWN, POSTCODE (in caps) with not county required.

I'm afraid that only those of you born in Bournemouth between 1974 and 1997 are Dorset & Bournemouth born and bred; the rest of you are either Hampshire or from Poole (the latter being well known glory-hunters)

HTH

Always found this a funny one. I've always written Dorset on my addresses. Was born in the Royal Victoria in 79, and various birth certificates at different times have said different things on them. My first said Hampshire, well it had only been five years it might not had sunk in. A later reissue around 2000 said Dorset, nowadays they don't even bother writing the county on it

Being as most of us have seen Hampshire at Dean Park (definitely in Bournemouth) I'd hardly call it glory hunting, they were to all intents and purposes our home club, personally not keen on sharing them with Southampton, but hey

Don't give a heck about Hampshire, as Bournemouth is in Dorset. That's how I was brought up 20-30 years ago, and that's how kids today are being brought up when learning their local geography at school.

If some of the older folk identify with Hampshire still and/or want to support a club that plays in Southampton, that's up to them, each to their own.

I see it this way. Born before the boundary changes when Bournemouth was in Hampshire, then you are a true fan.

If you were born after the change when Bournemouth became Dorset, you are just a yokel johnny bandwaggon.

I wasn't born in Dorset or Hampshire but I go to the rose bowl because it's close by. To be honest I don't care who wins I just like getting drunk in the sunshine.

Great result. I used to watch Hants at Dean Park when they had Marshal and Greenwich playing for them. I used to collect beer glasses, for which I got paid in pies....happy days.

you think you've got it bad? Try being born in the 1970s in Derry/Londonderry in Ireland/Northern Ireland/Ulster/UK....... To give out your address was like pledging allegiance to a cause one way or the other!!

It's not just the fact they are from Southampton, it's also the fact you'd get more exciting action down the crown green bowls pitches in Bournemouth :)

stifflersmom - 10/4/2017 16:02

Great result. I used to watch Hants at Dean Park when they had Marshal and Greenwich playing for them. I used to collect beer glasses, for which I got paid in pies....happy days.
Barry Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Malcolm Marshall, Colin Ingleby-McKenzie, Andy Roberts and going back further Derek Shackleton. Many a happy day at Dean Park. :7:

...used to sneak in after school I The days of Richards and Greenidge opening and Roberts and Tremlett (senior) taking the wickets!

Sneaked in area outside changing rooms once and witnessed a right row between Gilliat, Richards and Greenidge, used to go regularly, loved John Player Sundays, never knew how I'd got home some weeks.

;