Non - Pandemic

a "political question" not for him.

Then he shouldnt have offered a personal opinion or should have answered on behalf of SAGE as to their advice.

I don’t know if you watched the press conference but if not this might interest you.

Social care and NHS staff have duty to get vaccine - Whitty

They are also asked whether vaccination could be a condition of employment in the social care sector, amid reports of low take up.

Chris Whitty says he considers it a "professional responsibility" for medics and social care staff get themselves vaccinated to protect patients, but contracts are a "political question" not for him.
I did watch some of it and can see the point he is making. It's the anti-vaxers and sceptics that worry me most. How many times have we read of someone who didn't think the virus was real and then caught it? Personally I'd like to think that when I make one of my frequent hospital and GP appointments that the person treating me has had the vaccine.

I did watch some of it and can see the point he is making. It's the anti-vaxers and sceptics that worry me most. How many times have we read of someone who didn't think the virus was real and then caught it? Personally I'd like to think that when I make one of my frequent hospital and GP appointments that the person treating me has had the vaccine.

That basically was the point he was making.

He mentioned surgeons have to have vaccinations against certain things, hence basically that should apply to all health staff, including nursing homes.

As for the scaremongers, people who are easily led will be taken in by then, the majority will just see them for what they are.

A lot of it goes back to what happened to their families in the past, where they were used as human ‘guinea pigs’ with vaccines and some suffered badly from it.

But when you read our uptake so far well over 90% in some groups and 90% in others, that I think has surprised the medical people.

Ten months after initial lockdown,this morning I receive a letter telling me I have been identified as being in the 'at risk' group due to underlying health problems and I now need to shield until 31 March.
I could have told them that last year.
Personally I think once again I have been missed,as have others who are in my group,two I know for sure.

My letter is dated 17 Feb today is 23rd.Hell !! They're not even in a hurry to tell me to shield (which I was doing anyway).

Dr Vanessa Saliba, head of flu at PHE, told The Independent: “The decrease in flu cases this year is likely due to changes in our behaviour, such as social distancing, face coverings and handwashing, as well as the reduction in international travel.

View attachment 5143
That will be the excuse to keep us in masks and ban holidays forever !!

a "political question" not for him.

Then he shouldnt have offered a personal opinion or should have answered on behalf of SAGE as to their advice.

He doesn't speak for SAGE who frequently disagree with eachother and any personal opinion would be seized by the media as professional advice.

Once again you're making a bad call.

Quite feasible NSM. the only thing I would add is that it is unlikely as the vast majority of NHS Trusts inc Dorset have hit about 98% of over 70's vaccinated. I just think they have taken their eye off the ball a bit. I see the NHS are inviting 64 year olds to come forward now. I think they should widen it to 60 and over. They also don't publicise enough the fact that they are calling people forward without a letter. You have to go on their website to find out.
Some more info on this dripping out

Interesting what you say about being able to put yourself forward without a letter, yes perhaps that needs communicating better although I guess they want to balance demand?

He doesn't speak for SAGE who frequently disagree with eachother and any personal opinion would be seized by the media as professional advice.

Once again you're making a bad call.

The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) acts as the UK government’s principal medical adviser, and the professional head of all directors of public health in local government and the medical profession in government.

He gave an opinion didnt he that vaccination was a condition of employment for certain roles ?

Last edited:
I've read elsewhere this drop off in vaccinations was expected but there'll be a big rise in the next few weeks (someone with clients working at AZ)

My wife who is in group 4 hadn’t had a letter and went online and at first it said you are not eligible and a few days later tried again and was online.

Booked the first and second appointment within five minutes, straight forward no problems, a few days later received her letter with the same date on as when she managed to book online.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since her jab.

You think those in year 1 lost a third of their reception year last year and now at least a sixth of their year 1 learning this year. I for one hope they rejig the school calendar slightly to allow for some catching up before September.

No plans as yet for Primary despite “results wise” being the hardest hit.

Covid: English secondary summer schools part of catch-up plan https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56175893

Another interesting Q & A with Jonathan Van-Tam just now on Sky.

Explaining things very carefully and clearly.

JVT has been a breath of fresh air during this pandemic at press conferences etc.

Another interesting Q & A with Jonathan Van-Tam just now on Sky.

Explaining things very carefully and clearly.

JVT has been a breath of fresh air during this pandemic at press conferences etc.

He was on good morning Britain this morning. Massive Boston United fan. Came across brilliantly as always

He was on good morning Britain this morning. Massive Boston United fan. Came across brilliantly as always

Yep, heard him mention that before and he was back in Lincolnshire for the Q & A.

Sophie Ridge was the presenter and she mentioned she is a Sheffield Wednesday fan and in no hurry to get back to watch them. :grinning:

;