Non - Pandemic

The problem is that people will see the date regardless and that will be the focus. It wouldn't be without its problems (planning for businesses etc.) but if they'd have left the dates out and just explained the measures for us to open up fully, they'd have more leeway. That said, people would be asking for dates to plan! I can't stand the bloke, but Boris is genuinely in a no win situation with this.

If I was advising him - I'd tell him to address the nation sat in a chair, no tie etc..apologise for not putting India on red list earlier and explain the need to extend lockdown a bit longer.

Politicians underestimate an apology as they see it as weakness. But I think it would help

If I was advising him - I'd tell him to address the nation sat in a chair, no tie etc..apologise for not putting India on red list earlier and explain the need to extend lockdown a bit longer.

Politicians underestimate an apology as they see it as weakness. But I think it would help

This might answer your question.

BBC

The government put India on the "red list" of places to which travel is banned on 23 April, two weeks later than Pakistan and Bangladesh, which had fewer cases per million at the time.

Why was India not on the Red list sooner?

The prime minister defending the timing of the decision, saying: "Pakistan had about 13 times as many variants of concern or variants of interest as as India at that stage."

"Yet we put India on the red list on 23 April, which was days before it was even identified as a variant under investigation."

This might answer your question.

BBC

The government put India on the "red list" of places to which travel is banned on 23 April, two weeks later than Pakistan and Bangladesh, which had fewer cases per million at the time.

Why was India not on the Red list sooner?

The prime minister defending the timing of the decision, saying: "Pakistan had about 13 times as many variants of concern or variants of interest as as India at that stage."

"Yet we put India on the red list on 23 April, which was days before it was even identified as a variant under investigation."

OK. Presume they compared cases and travel to the UK between the two countries too.

There was lots of 'hubub' and discussion about India for 2 weeks or so before it went on the red list. I was surprised they didn't take the safety first option.

OK. Presume they compared cases and travel to the UK between the two countries too.

There was lots of 'hubub' and discussion about India for 2 weeks or so before it went on the red list. I was surprised they didn't take the safety first option.

The ‘hubbub was probably because of Boris and the India trade deal trip.

Think this was another time where Boris again was too slow to act.

Listen Jim you've been pedalling this horseshit for months. You have been asked loads of times to explain how anybody anywhere can possibly know how dangerous a new variant of a virus is in a partially vaccinated population. There's is literally no way to accurately predict this based on available data until people start to die from it. This is why you've never been able to answer the mind-numbingly simple question as to how you would go about assessing how dangerous the variant is before that data is available.

You're making a fucking idiot of yourself here tbh.
Assessing the potential impact of a variant is what sage contributes to the emergency and disaster planning.
The pandemic is identified as a risk in the national risk register.
The job of the government is to manage the emergency, waiting for people to die before making decisions hasn't worked so far

Assessing the potential impact of a variant is what sage contributes to the emergency and disaster planning.
The job of the government is to manage the emergency, waiting for people to die before making decisions hasn't worked so far

Meaningless horseshit.

The national risk register is far from meaningless.

Keep on denying and deflecting
Keep on locking down.

You're accusing me of denying and deflecting? The irony meter has exploded. Until you respond to the question of how exactly you think they should be able to predict the effects of a new variant on a partly vaccinated population before it is possible to know the effects then you're going to get the short shrift you deserve. No national risk register will have this info, you'd have to be a moron to think it would tbh.

For the record I'm quite neutral on the decision to delay relaxation - I'm simply making a point about what is knowable/predictable and when.

Nice thought, Mark, but if they hadn't set a roadmap they'd be getting questioned every day about "do you have a clear plan?". It's bad enough at the moment with all the build up to 21 June

True.

They probably should have said till everyone had been vaccinated but easy to say now I guess .

You’ve lost me I’m afraid.

The UK has world leading genomics, studying the virus for its mutations, working out what these mutations mean.

We’ve then got scientists and data experts looking at what that can all mean, we’ve finally got great data and testing with all of that being used to create short term trends and longer term models. Not just sage but independent sage and anyone else in that area of expertise looking at it because the data is published and in as close to real time as possible.

All of the above is then passed on to government. Who rightly or wrongly set out some pillars that had to be met before some more restrictions could be lifted “no earlier than 21st June”. (This was published 22nd February https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...dmap-to-cautiously-ease-lockdown-restrictions )

They’ve looked at the data and trends regarding a variant that didn’t raise its ugly head until April and decided those pillars have not been met. Something the British Medical Association have also called for.

So what are you against?

;