Non - Pandemic

agree the 80% thing is great. wish there was such a thing as universal basic income, then all of this may have been simpler and self-employed/sole traders like me would get at least some assistance. I also think the max limit of £2500 is too high, just my opinion - think the dosh could be shared out more. but I do appreciate the efforts made, and its impossible to appease everyone.
Important to rememeber this. If employed, £2500 per month. If self-employed then £407 a month if you even qualify due to savings or partner's earnings.

I'm glad so many people are being helped but don't forget the significant number of millions who aren't.

agree the 80% thing is great. wish there was such a thing as universal basic income, then all of this may have been simpler and self-employed/sole traders like me would get at least some assistance. I also think the max limit of £2500 is too high, just my opinion - think the dosh could be shared out more. but I do appreciate the efforts made, and its impossible to appease everyone.

I had already ended my contract at a company in February and this week they made their first round of cost savings which was to release all the self employed contract staff who don’t get this government protection.

My GP, this week, said that, despite my poor health, I'm more likely to die crossing the road than from the virus, provided I take proper precautions with hygiene. So basically no crossing the road then? Who knows what lies ahead and what effect current restrictions will have. It's the great unknown! If everyone can obey the rules great, but there are always going to be some who won't.
Only if the road in question is the m25.

Brilliant move to pay 80% of wages to protect jobs. Not sure how they'll pay for it, which if Corbyn had done it you can guarantee would be the only question being asked on the front pages. This is going to leave governments all over in a massive mess and no doubt people down the line as more services are cut to pay back debts.

I don't really care how they pay for it; it's keeping liquidity in the economy.

Once people stop spending we are dead in the water.

After all the grim news, just had a wonderful walk in the country, in warm sunshine.
Just what you need to recharge the batteries, and talk about something different.

If you can, get out even if it's for half a hour, and just chill.....................:love1:
Just been out for a walk and the chiffchaffs have arrived. Spring is round the corner.

I don't really care how they pay for it; it's keeping liquidity in the economy.

Once people stop spending we are dead in the water.
"Modern Monetary Theory" MMT - you will hear this term a lot going forward.

Governments will print money, or issue long (50 yr+ bonds) and then buy them back at near-zero interest rates. Keeps the liquidity as Ken suggests. Potential fall-out is long term inflation.

Here's a fairly balanced description .... CNBC is to the left of centre politically. Right of centre will not agree, but IMO governments will spend like crazy to get us out of the immediate economic crisis caused by coronavirus, and will worry about it down the line.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/03/01/stephanie-kelton-explains-modern-monetary-theory.html

Went for a drive this morning, then a bit of creativity in my studio. Got plenty to do but am missing real contact with real people. But just got to keep on until it blows over.

Credit to the NHS boss for having a go at "Londoners" for what they are, a self serving cowardly herd of drones who don't give a phuck about anyone but themselves. No sense of community there anymore for obvious reasons, I feel for the NHS nurse who was crying because there was no food to buy. I think all the NHS staff should leave the capital and help people who would help them.

Credit to the NHS boss for having a go at "Londoners" for what they are, a self serving cowardly herd of drones who don't give a phuck about anyone but themselves. No sense of community there anymore for obvious reasons, I feel for the NHS nurse who was crying because there was no food to buy. I think all the NHS staff should leave the capital and help people who would help them.

Isn’t she from York?

"Modern Monetary Theory" MMT - you will hear this term a lot going forward.

Governments will print money, or issue long (50 yr+ bonds) and then buy them back at near-zero interest rates. Keeps the liquidity as Ken suggests. Potential fall-out is long term inflation.

Here's a fairly balanced description .... CNBC is to the left of centre politically. Right of centre will not agree, but IMO governments will spend like crazy to get us out of the immediate economic crisis caused by coronavirus, and will worry about it down the line.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/03/01/stephanie-kelton-explains-modern-monetary-theory.html

Inflation is surely a massive risk. Half the country will be skint and the other half will have spent sod all for months and are going to be wanting to buy things and go on trips etc all at the same time. Simultaneously there will be limited businesses and those that are left will have costs to cover from months of zero trade. Inflation.

;