Non - Pandemic

Its a strange situation : thousands of people pulling together in communities...doing very Unselfish things to help get us through....and on the other hand thousands of others being very Selfish...I have a hunch that it will polarise toward the former as the severity of the situation finally hits home.
I think the reason for the selfishness is because many people have had a steady, relatively easy existence for most of their lives and can't accept a fall from it for even a short period....others just dont trust or recognise authority.
During Ww2 there was the Spirit of the Nation...but also some degree of subversive behaviour in many places. Spivs , treachery etc.
Several old phrases can be applied ...'nowt as queer as folk'.....' it takes all sorts' ....' love thy neighbour as thyself' ..'.life's trials will test us, shape us '....
' we will overcome'...take that one to bed tonight!

Last edited:
People starting to show their true colours now as expected, saw a video of a "Londoner" stealing food from an elderly woman's trolley. In WW2 when all the rich and cowards tried to buy, lie or hide there way from national service people put chicken feathers on their doorsteps as a mark of cowardice.
But all these selfish panic buyers getting filmed deserve a few slaps for playing their part in the demise of vulnerable people.

The more we isolate the better according to the report drd highlights. Every second counts. Every second every day. Also and worryingly it seems to be that there are already several mutations or strains and immunity from one doesn’t guarantee immunity from another so please everybody take the advice.

For anyone who says we're overreacting and flu kills 20,000 a year, well, that's 55 people a day.

56 people died today.

233 have died so far. The exact same number as Italy two weeks ago. They've lost 800 people today.

You do the math.
The maths is a bit off.

Flu is called seasonal flu for a reason mainly causing deaths over the winter predominantly.
So divide your 20,000 by about 120 days (and that’s a very long winter) and you get about 160 deaths per day.

Why we're not actually a country full of evil panic buyers...

No, but an unplanned 10% increase in a just in time supply chain is significant. Demand in supermarkets is going to increase as well with people staying at home for meals rather than eating out. Of course the pubs and restaurant demand will plummet and that supply will be diverted to the supermarkets.

Now I’m scared because I don’t have enough info. My step daughter has been told she almost certainly has covid 19 but they’re not testing her. I was with her 12 days ago, 2 days before she was sent home from work with a fever and a cough. Am I in danger?

Now I’m scared because I don’t have enough info. My step daughter has been told she almost certainly has covid 19 but they’re not testing her. I was with her 12 days ago, 2 days before she was sent home from work with a fever and a cough. Am I in danger?
I sincerely hope you are O.K. Stan. I would have thought that as 12 days have passed you should be O.K. but I am no expert, remember though that quarantine periods for people coming back from heavily infected areas were set at 14 days.

No, but an unplanned 10% increase in a just in time supply chain is significant. Demand in supermarkets is going to increase as well with people staying at home for meals rather than eating out. Of course the pubs and restaurant demand will plummet and that supply will be diverted to the supermarkets.

Don't worry - British Values will see us thru :oops:

Precisely, which is why we should stop beating ourselves up about the supply chain disruption and declaring that we are a country of selfish people. We have just switched where we buy our food en masse and this has inevitably caused issues. It will be fine in a week or so once they manage to adjust.

Why we're not actually a country full of evil panic buyers...

We love to beat ourselves up , well the press do and its a great story. When this settles down there will be plenty of supermarket managers wondering how they got it so wrong. Instead of overnight stocking up why not two in a 24 hour period for example instead of blaming the customers. On my usual shopping rounds throughout this crisis I've rarely seen acts of hoarding / stupidity and trust me everyone eyes each others trolleys up.

I sincerely hope you are O.K. Stan. I would have thought that as 12 days have passed you should be O.K. but I am no expert, remember though that quarantine periods for people coming back from heavily infected areas were set at 14 days.

I saw an article that said average is 5.5 days with a range of 1-14.

As for some of the moans about stockpiling, the science was there many weeks ago to show the severity of this virus and lockdown actions needed. Too many people saying “it’s just like flu” has contributed to this sudden panic as the severity gets officially belatedly recognised. Could have been an easier glide-in to where we are now.

Anyone down the beach today ?

Ordinarily it would be absolutely rammed with walkers today what with the sun out and mothers day, just wondering how it will look at 3 pm. Its a difficult decision this social distancing thing as the NT has just announced they're closing all parks.
Yesterday the countryside was full of elderly ramblers, cyclists and the rest. Everything Italy / Spain and France have stopped or discouraged.

;