Non - Pandemic

Have to say, I'm somewhat jealous of the plan to loosen restrictions.

It's absolute chaos here. We've more or less been in lockdown since March last year, kids out of school for 9 months, football seasons cancelled for all but the top two tiers. The team I play for has been going for promotion this season, unbeaten in the first 11 games, but the season's over. And I'm not exactly getting younger :(

I see Brits criticise the government on it's approach to covid, but believe me, you really haven't been hard done by. The government here is genuinely a joke.

Seems Boris’s roadmap has cross party and media support, both saying it’s sensible. Only thing I’ve seen as a discussion point is all pupils going back at once on the 18th. Perhaps even @JIMNNINA will be complimentary about it.

Or maybe not.

Think the date is the 8th March.

But what I found interesting at the press conference was when the schools all returning on that date was Chris Whitty’s answer.

In some of the media it was reported he was Not in favour of this and there was a disagreement with Boris over it.

At the time Downing Street denied this and said Chris Whitty was in agreement.

Today Chris Whitty seemed pleased this question came up so he could put the record straight.

He mentioned this was not what he said to the media and he is in total agreement about all the schools going back together.

BBC

Chris Whitty is asked whether he is happy with the PM's plan to bring all schoolchildren back from 8 March instead of opting for a phased return (as is happening in Scotland and Wales).

Prof Whitty says he is "surprised" at newspaper reports he was unhappy at the idea - and had denied this to journalists before it was printed.

Last edited:
Think the date is the 8th March.

But what I found interesting at the press conference was when the schools all returning on that date was Chris Whitty’s answer.

In some of the media it was reported he was Not in favour of this and there was a disagreement with Boris over it.

At the time Downing Street denied this and said Chris Whitty was in agreement.

Today Chris Whitty seemed pleased this question came up so he could put the record straight.

He mentioned this was not what he said to the media and he is in total agreement about all the schools going back together.

BBC

Chris Whitty is asked whether he is happy with the PM's plan to bring all schoolchildren back from 8 March instead of opting for a phased return (as is happening in Scotland and Wales).

Prof Whitty says he is "surprised" at newspaper reports he was unhappy at the idea - and had denied this to journalists before it was printed.

I’ll be honest. I was quite surprised it is all schools going back in one go. The phased return in Wales and Scotland seemed a more phased approach.

But at least with the Conservatives and Labour (apart from McDonnell) and Chris Whitty all on the same page it should hopefully mean less political point scoring on schools.

There will be spikes in cases, there will be classes and year groups isolating, there will be local newspapers keeping a tally and comment sections filled with polarising views with the one side expecting a target of covid zero and the other still calling it a flu...

It’s all about managing the levels of risks, they were pretty clear on that point and for once there is a consensus agreement based on the science.

Whats going on with the vaccinations. well down today and last weeks total was about 700,000 down on the previous week. They need to open up to a lower age group if they are not getting people coming forward. Don't waste all that good work.
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations
An entirely made up and simplified scenario:

Imagine almost everyone in Poole and Bournemouth vaccine groups 1-4 who wants the jab has already taken up their offer and had the jab. By now vaccine outlets are only seeing a handful of people a day coming in. However they can't provide vaccines for the next group of people in the JCVI queue, until NHS BCP give the green light.

Meanwhile Christchurch is still playing catchup, due to the demographics of the area having far more 65+, and due to the logistics of the area in terms of having fewer centres that can provide the jabs. Christchurch has another two weeks to go before it's in the same position as Bournemouth and Poole.

NHS BCP have to judge when to open up the next group for all 3 areas under it's remit. They're not ready to do it yet, they don't want to overwhelm Christchurch. In the meantime they're seeing vaccine rates fall.

It's a simplistic way of putting it, but hopefully it gives an idea of Gov's / NHS England's position.

Seems Boris’s roadmap has cross party and media support, both saying it’s sensible. Only thing I’ve seen as a discussion point is all pupils going back at once on the 18th. Perhaps even @JIMNNINA will be complimentary about it.

Or maybe not.
Daily mail asking robust questions so not 100% media backing.

Easter could be a test of individual responsibility.

Last edited:
Isn’t that the case in the real world? I take individual responsibility to pay for everything I want when I go in a shop. Some people don’t... who is responsible for that decision?

The Civil Contingencies Act probably has a section on why Boris Johnson is to blame for shoplifting.

A bit of talk going on about those who won't have the vaccine. I can understand if their health makes them reluctant to have it but can't understand why some feel as if they don't need it because its a scam or they think they are immune to it. These are the people who will nurture the virus and keep passing on to those who have been unfortunate not to benefit from the jab. You can't force people to have it but neither can you force people not to get Covid.

The best thing we can do is keep following the current rules and hope the vaccine keeps making good progress and which allows us to follow this roadmap and able to do as they say on the various dates .

Again as throughout its up to the public as to if get out of this situation in the time speculated and we can only do that by taking responsibility for our actions.

A bit of talk going on about those who won't have the vaccine. I can understand if their health makes them reluctant to have it but can't understand why some feel as if they don't need it because its a scam or they think they are immune to it. These are the people who will nurture the virus and keep passing on to those who have been unfortunate not to benefit from the jab. You can't force people to have it but neither can you force people not to get Covid.

I don’t know if you watched the press conference but if not this might interest you.

Social care and NHS staff have duty to get vaccine - Whitty

They are also asked whether vaccination could be a condition of employment in the social care sector, amid reports of low take up.

Chris Whitty says he considers it a "professional responsibility" for medics and social care staff get themselves vaccinated to protect patients, but contracts are a "political question" not for him.

An entirely made up and simplified scenario:

Imagine almost everyone in Poole and Bournemouth vaccine groups 1-4 who wants the jab has already taken up their offer and had the jab. By now vaccine outlets are only seeing a handful of people a day coming in. However they can't provide vaccines for the next group of people in the JCVI queue, until NHS BCP give the green light.

Meanwhile Christchurch is still playing catchup, due to the demographics of the area having far more 65+, and due to the logistics of the area in terms of having fewer centres that can provide the jabs. Christchurch has another two weeks to go before it's in the same position as Bournemouth and Poole.

NHS BCP have to judge when to open up the next group for all 3 areas under it's remit. They're not ready to do it yet, they don't want to overwhelm Christchurch. In the meantime they're seeing vaccine rates fall.

It's a simplistic way of putting it, but hopefully it gives an idea of Gov's / NHS England's position.
Quite feasible NSM. the only thing I would add is that it is unlikely as the vast majority of NHS Trusts inc Dorset have hit about 98% of over 70's vaccinated. I just think they have taken their eye off the ball a bit. I see the NHS are inviting 64 year olds to come forward now. I think they should widen it to 60 and over. They also don't publicise enough the fact that they are calling people forward without a letter. You have to go on their website to find out.

;