Non - Tesla

Since Bill Gates has given more to charity than everyone else in history put together....I think he deserves a shed load of credit for that.

Yes he had a lot to start off with but instead of enjoying it or giving it to his kids he gave up work and spent his life giving that money to people and causes that needed it.

He's given over 40 BILLION dollars away and a large proportion of that as shares to continue to increase the funds.

But some people will still find reasons to moan about him.

I was talking about Musk not Gates which is what I thought the thread was about. Whats Gates got to do with it.

Druss_the_Legend - 21/11/2017 10:03

Since Bill Gates has given more to charity than everyone else in history put together....I think he deserves a shed load of credit for that.

Yes he had a lot to start off with but instead of enjoying it or giving it to his kids he gave up work and spent his life giving that money to people and causes that needed it.

He's given over 40 BILLION dollars away and a large proportion of that as shares to continue to increase the funds.

But some people will still find reasons to moan about him.

40 Billion??? He could have started negotiations for a future trade relationship with the EU for that sort of cash! Fancy wasting it on charity.

:yikes2:

redharry - 21/11/2017 10:21

I was talking about Musk not Gates which is what I thought the thread was about. Whats Gates got to do with it.

Without gates, we'd be over run with cows out here in Burton. Musk? very '70s bit like patchouli oil : )

Nothing. He knew he was on a sticky wicket with Musk so he swerved onto Gates instead.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 21/11/2017 13:56

Nothing. He knew he was on a sticky wicket with Musk so he swerved onto Gates instead.

yeah, thought so.

WTF?

I've addressed Musk. I applaud everything he and his companies are doing. I couldnt be any clearer could I?What swerving am I doing?

Some very sad people on this forum sometimes.

Further tax subsidy and incentives for electric cars coming from the Tory budget today then. Tax benefits for electric company cars, a £400m charging infrastructure fund, an extra £100m in Plug-In-Car Grant, and £40m for research into charging.

Should governments be doing this or is private enterprise not better placed to progress these technologies? Are you and I not just paying here for giant multi national car/tech corporations to benefit?

OR does putting public British money into the development of a technology keep Britian's hand in the area and ensure we eventually benefit well from it? Genuinely not sure.

northstandmark - 22/11/2017 13:14

Further tax subsidy and incentives for electric cars coming from the Tory budget today then. Tax benefits for electric company cars, a £400m charging infrastructure fund, an extra £100m in Plug-In-Car Grant, and £40m for research into charging.

Should governments be doing this or is private enterprise not better placed to progress these technologies? Are you and I not just paying here for giant multi national car/tech corporations to benefit?

OR does putting public British money into the development of a technology keep Britian's hand in the area and ensure we eventually benefit well from it? Genuinely not sure.

How much did we hand over to Nissan to continue building the Qashqai in Sunderland after the brexit vote?

The government subsidises all sorts of industries.

for health reasons, it makes perfect sense that the government, which is committed to reducing co2 emissions, would be encouraging people to drive electric cars.

I'd rather they sorted out public transport and roads before spending my money on supporting the motor Industry.

Bill payer as in energy - green levies, guaranteed (very high) price per KWH for future production at Hinckley point, offshore wind etc etc

Druss_the_Legend - 20/11/2017 10:45
Read up on infrastructure...

Indeed, let's do just that.

The National Grid reckons that suddenly using electric cars won't be as simple some want to believe;

"...Capacity problems could also start in the home. National Grid says that drivers charging their cars at home might not be able to use items such as kettles, ovens and immersion heaters at the same time without tripping their house’s main fuse. “The house electricity supply is one ‘pinch point’,” it said in a background article.

The piece raised another difficulty: it estimated that 43 per cent of households have no off-street parking, meaning drivers could not recharge their cars overnight in their garage or driveway as they slept in their homes..." *

* http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-electric-car-plan-infrastructure-costs-power-shortages-petrol-vehicles-end-diesel-ban-a7923496.html

Druss_the_Legend - 22/11/2017 15:30
...for health reasons, it makes perfect sense that the government, which is committed to reducing co2 emissions, would be encouraging people to drive electric cars.

Powered from all the new power stations that will need to be built to achieve this.

In other words stop the cars using petrol and diesel and instead use electricity created at power stations using gas, coal, nuclear, or imported wood pellets.

Ideally wind or solar would be a part of that mix but we all know the NIMBYs won't tolerate change, especially if it's for the greater good.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 22/11/2017 16:08

Druss_the_Legend - 22/11/2017 15:30
...for health reasons, it makes perfect sense that the government, which is committed to reducing co2 emissions, would be encouraging people to drive electric cars.

Powered from all the new power stations that will need to be built to achieve this.

In other words stop the cars using petrol and diesel and instead use electricity created at power stations using gas, coal, nuclear, or imported wood pellets.

Ideally wind or solar would be a part of that mix but we all know the NIMBYs won't tolerate change, especially if it's for the greater good.

Whatever form it takes, even if the cars used power which came 100% from coal, it would still massively reduce the CO2 we emit as a nation and also take the fumes that are produced out of the centre of towns and around schools.

But as already said, we are rapidly shifting to renewables.

Actually burning coal produces about 65% more CO2 per unit of energy produced than burning oil or petrol.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=73&t=11

redharry - 22/11/2017 16:22

Actually burning coal produces about 65% more CO2 per unit of energy produced than burning oil or petrol.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=73&t=11

I've tried telling that to Swanage Railway.

They couldn't give a monkeys.

Not content with ruining a perfectly good footpath from Swanage to Corfe by putting bloody rails on it; they're now determined to destroy the planet.

They need stopping.

;