Non: The Hundred

Is this the last season of the Hundred or really was a slip of the tongue?

The traditionalists and cricket media types would love that wouldn’t they?

Does make me laugh, cricket brings out a report that it’s fundamentally racist, sexist and elitist. But the one tournament that is inclusive of all families from all backgrounds, boys and girls gets run down at every turn. Despite the ticket sales and viewing figures proving how popular it is.

I think it’ll evolve. I think it’ll have proper overs eventually. If it reverts to a t20 franchise tournament it’ll have to change its name. Tweaks will happen, but it’s got a tv contract till 2028 so it won’t be ending this year. If anything it needs more money thrown at it so its window doesn’t get squeezed by the IPL pushing the American league.

Edit - seems to be the blokes final year in the job so clearly that’s where his slip up was - https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/3484259/the-hundred-managing-director-sanjay-patel-to-leave-the-ecb

The traditionalists and cricket media types would love that wouldn’t they?

Does make me laugh, cricket brings out a report that it’s fundamentally racist, sexist and elitist. But the one tournament that is inclusive of all families from all backgrounds, boys and girls gets run down at every turn. Despite the ticket sales and viewing figures proving how popular it is.

I think it’ll evolve. I think it’ll have proper overs eventually. If it reverts to a t20 franchise tournament it’ll have to change its name. Tweaks will happen, but it’s got a tv contract till 2028 so it won’t be ending this year. If anything it needs more money thrown at it so its window doesn’t get squeezed by the IPL pushing the American league.

Edit - seems to be the blokes final year in the job so clearly that’s where his slip up was - https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/3484259/the-hundred-managing-director-sanjay-patel-to-leave-the-ecb
I think some think it’s one too many tournaments and a bit of a gimmick but sport is about entertainment and making money which this probably does .

Also a few clubs feel left out as they don’t have a franchise but maybe it will expand over time.

I did have to laugh at one point, I flicked over from sky to bbc and they were talking to Bopara who was fielding but mic’d up. He was stood in front of the members area. He couldn’t get over how loud the stadium was and he was asked if the members were enjoying it, he turned around had a quick look and said “erm, they seem to be different members they’re all erm, young”.

Pretty much sums up the hundred in a few seconds I thought.
I watched that bit, was quite funny how he was trying to be so polite about it all

I think some think it’s one too many tournaments and a bit of a gimmick but sport is about entertainment and making money which this probably does .

Also a few clubs feel left out as they don’t have a franchise but maybe it will expand over time.

I do totally get that. For example you’ve got Somerset, Blast winners, they don’t have a side and are supposed to be part of the “Welsh Fire”. That clearly doesn’t work, it’s not perfect.

Personally I love the Vitality Blast, but that clearly isn’t perfect either as it’s been running 20 years and was immediately replaced by a brand new competition with a single marketing push despite getting nothing but bad press in the media.

It’s not a case of the money should be thrown at that for all the things I’ve said before. Too many counties, too many games, competition would be too long (like the IPL is) quality spread too thin, youngsters having no affinity with old fashioned counties etc etc.

First time I have experienced the Hundred live. After a while the music became part of the background and quite enjoyed it. The men winning helped. Average age was certainly lower than at most matches. Would go again next year. Shame one day cup is going on at the same time but something has to give in cricketing schedules

The Brave are based at Hampshire so I support them I suppose.
My county is Somerset but I don’t follow them or the Championship very closely at all .
I did see Hampshire at Dean Park v Lancashire back in 83 I think it was on a school sports trip …

First time I have experienced the Hundred live. After a while the music became part of the background and quite enjoyed it. The men winning helped. Average age was certainly lower than at most matches. Would go again next year.
Just back from our first time at the Hundred. What a fantastic day. Shame the men’s match was over as a contest with a monster score, but it did provide some fantastic cricket.

Music, everyone in the Southern Brave stuff, full crowd. As a television spectacle you could argue it’s not that much different to the blast, but being there it’s so much more lively and fun.

Just back from our first time at the Hundred. What a fantastic day. Shame the men’s match was over as a contest with a monster score, but it did provide some fantastic cricket.

Music, everyone in the Southern Brave stuff, full crowd. As a television spectacle you could argue it’s not that much different to the blast, but being there it’s so much more lively and fun.

Sound like our afternoon on our here...

I can certainly see why it captures peoples imagination.

I'm no fan of F1 at all, but the other day I watched one of the qualifying days with our daughters partner. He answered all my dumb questions and i really grew into it as it progressed.

I'm by no means a convert, but certainly view it less negatively now.

Maybe the Hundred will take a similar course, even if KK might say I'm not the right demographic. ;-)

might say I'm not the right demographic. ;-)
Plenty of old fart’s there looking like the club shop had thrown up all over them Rob. ;)

Which did surprise me to honest, I was expecting it to be just kids and families, but it wasn’t.

Also, got to say, Ollie Pope, what a gentleman taking time out to chat to a very shy star struck kid. :tophat:

I love my cricket and I know many on here do aswell. I'm a bit of purist but I've got to say the Hundred Iis such a good watch. Has anyone on here been the Rose Bowl to watch the Southern Brave. If so , was it good ?

What I find funny about this is that, the answer to getting more people to watch cricket is to have less cricket!

What I find funny about this is that, the answer to getting more people to watch cricket is to have less cricket!
It's a slog fear nothing less but it's great entertainment. I watched the London Oval v the London Spirit the other night and there was nearly 400 runs and went to the final ball to decide the winner. Fantastic watch. Obviously not going to be everyone's cup of tea but the stadiums look full at every match.

;