Players To Come In For Next Season?

Peterborough just signed striker Jack Marriott from Derby County, I wonder if this is a replacement for Jonson Clarke-Harris.

We lost wilshire, long, Roro, ccv, possibly junior and Smith. 6 out none in so far. Look very short in defence, if we lose danjuma, that only leaves solanke with more than 10 goals last season.

We saw what Toney did for Brentford last season.

At Peterborough 32 league appearances and 24 goals.

Jonson Clarke-Harris 45 league appearances and 31 goals.

We lost wilshire, long, Roro, ccv, possibly junior and Smith. 6 out none in so far. Look very short in defence, if we lose danjuma, that only leaves solanke with more than 10 goals last season.
Disregard Wiltshire, roro and long as they played so few minutes and are covered to that EFFECT by Kilkenny, Anthony and Saydee (less experienced but the outgoing didn't play enough for us to miss a contribution).

Leaves us 1 centre half short (Simpson and CCV combined) maybe covered by Ibsen Rossi a year older, stronger, and maybe able to step up, or at worst cover for Stacey IF Smith goes. Arguably a loanee again is needed to cover, and then we need to either back Meps from day one to give him a run or trade him out.

The only big hole is Danjuma but maybe if / when he goes, then Junior stays.

My point is it's not about numbers but minutes and contributions.

Disregard Wiltshire, roro and long as they played so few minutes and are covered to that EFFECT by Kilkenny, Anthony and Saydee (less experienced but the outgoing didn't play enough for us to miss a contribution).

Leaves us 1 centre half short (Simpson and CCV combined) maybe covered by Ibsen Rossi a year older, stronger, and maybe able to step up, or at worst cover for Stacey IF Smith goes. Arguably a loanee again is needed to cover, and then we need to either back Meps from day one to give him a run or trade him out.

You think two senior strikers is enough? Lol

Is Ibsen Rossi in the frame? Highly thought of in Scottish prem last season, perhaps he could make the step up in a Simpson type back up role? Need an experienced CB as a priority though

And that would leave Brooks and Junior as our only wingers. We would basically either be relying on NO injuries all season, or that some of our kids are miraculously going to be championship standard (be astounded if any of them are currently, bar potentially Anthony.)

Problem is you can;t always predict how many minutes each player in the squad will play before the season starts. Maybe the youngsters are good enough, personally I don;t think they are if we're serious about a promotion push. Can't afford to be too thin on the ground as that could derail the season if you have several injuries... which could very well happen.

And that would leave Brooks and Junior as our only wingers. We would basically either be relying on NO injuries all season, or that some of our kids are miraculously going to be championship standard (be astounded if any of them are currently, bar potentially Anthony.)
Junior isn't our player at the moment

Our 3 leading scorers last season were one striker and two midfield players.

Two are doubts they will be here for the new season.

I see the new West Brom manager has moved quickly to sign his former captain Alex Mowatt who scored 8 goals and had 7 assists from midfield.

From memory he looked a good player and he was out of contract at Barnsley.

Last edited:
Only 3 players hit double figures and two of them may be going.....how much will we have to spend to replace 27 goals?.....and that's just to match last season's total of 73...if we want to challenge for the auto's we need to be looking at the mid eighties imo......where is it coming from?......unless we are looking to do a Watford and bore everyone to death on the way to promotion.

In Brentford’s case it cost them £5 million for a player who scored 31 goals.

I see that former England International Jack Rodwell has been released by Sheff Utd. Could do a job in central defence? - especially if we are unable to sign CCV?

Perhaps we should also be looking to try and sign Charlie Wyke to beef up our striking front especially as he seems be out of contract as well?

In any event it appears that we will need to sign at least one decent striker if we are serious about promotion, especially if we lose Danjuma!

I see that former England International Jack Rodwell has been released by Sheff Utd. Could do a job in central defence? - especially if we are unable to sign CCV?

Perhaps we should also be looking to try and sign Charlie Wyke to beef up our striking front especially as he seems be out of contract as well?

In any event it appears that we will need to sign at least one decent striker if we are serious about promotion, especially if we lose Danjuma!
Thought Rodwell was a midfielder tbh... obviously wouldn't get near our midfield....one of those players that never fulfilled early promise...
Also didn't he milk every last penny out of Sunderland despite relegations?

Rodwell is 30 and played 20 odd games in the last 4 seasons

Rodwell is 30 and played 20 odd games in the last 4 seasons

Wiki says that he is 6'2 and can play in central defence - which shouldn't be a problem in tne Championship at the age of 30!

Can't be many former England Internationals available on a free at that age! (apart from Wilshere who is slightly younger!).

Maybe a pay per play contract would re-assure any concerns about playing enough games during the season?

Last edited:
Seems strange no one has gone in for him .....

Alongside Cookie, I thought he was great for us last season.

early days! they are all collecting offers, and seeing what they can reel in...... it'll go crazy at some point

;