Scott Parker

Without parachute payments teams wouldn't have been able to get these players in to play for them in the Premier League in the first place. Promoted teams wouldn't be able to compete AT ALL. Or else dodgy owners would take the risk and lots of the teams would go bust. That's why they are needed.
Thats a different payment.

No one...not God...not the Pope..not Alf Ramsey's ghost... Can Prove one way or another that parachute payments actually affect results of games by virtue of players purchased by that Money.
But basically the payments are not Fair...if any scheme is right...it would be to give Money to teams coming Up from Div One to give them a chance of some parity in the quality stakes !
...not to failures from the PL..they've had their chance and blown it.

Not sure we'll see a ny dramatic changes to formation/style, I'm quietly hoping our style will appear more open next season, due to most sides nor lining up in such an attrional way against us. Although I guess some may point to goals at home indicating otherwise...

I think we'll have to go 3 at the back at times.

If we don't change this style of play then we're as good as down......we're not going to have the sort of possession we've had this season so being able to hit teams on the break is vital.....it's the only threat we have against the better sides.
We haven't scored a single counter attacking goal this season!.....i mean thats quite astounding when you consider how good we were at it.

I remember one counter attacking goal v Swansea, maybe 2 actually.

No Derek....forget any other league ....the ONLY reason we can play the likes of Solanke...Lerma ....Kelly and Billing is because of parachute payments......without parachute payments they wouldn't be playing for us in the championship.....so without parachute payments we wouldn't have better players than the rest of the league.......hth.

Unless we could fund it by selling players we'd go bust, as would every other team that got relegated from the PL. It still isn't the reason relegated sides are more likely to get promoted though even if you want to pretend otherwise. Go on, have a look at the league one table.

I haven't made any reference to not liking any players for not being British..its not a personal thing against any individual. ....although I wasn't impressed with Pearson screaming and shouting like a village Idiot in the dressingroom aftermath on Tuesday...he has virtually done nothing all season while earning mega- thousands a week!
I've made comments on other threads about politics....about Elite people in positions of Power etc....and the unfair balance in Society!
Oh I really don't know about this bloody Forum...it can be Fun at times but certain of us just don't fit do we ?
Its like 1 car in a car- park surrounded by 20 ticket wardens. Ridiculous,

Maybe Pearlo was so vocal because he didn't get much game time. Why should we deprive him of a good party?

No Derek....forget any other league ....the ONLY reason we can play the likes of Solanke...Lerma ....Kelly and Billing is because of parachute payments......without parachute payments they wouldn't be playing for us in the championship.....so without parachute payments we wouldn't have better players than the rest of the league.......hth.
I thought we got relegated we sold a few players for good money. maybe that money doesn't count.

Notice the difference between the way Parker speaks to people he knows ( the team) and those he doesn't (10,000 fans and the media).

He's clearly a shy individual who finds it difficult speaking to strangers so retreats into cliche.

I only found out today that to pass their coaching badges they have to do simulated press conferences, no doubt where meaningless cliches are practiced.

I'm happy to give him the benfit of the doubt. I don't need the manager of the team to talk to me like I'm his mate to prove he cares about doing a good job.

Parkers reign here is very similar to his time at Fulham......dull football all season and then got it spectacularly right in the most important game of the season.
He said after he got relegated with Fulham that he knew what it would take to stay up next time so we'll see if does manage to evolve into a more positive manager.

bristol city away
Swansea home
Huddersfield away
Blackburn away

were not dull xx

Notice the difference between the way Parker speaks to people he knows ( the team) and those he doesn't (10,000 fans and the media).

He's clearly a shy individual who finds it difficult speaking to strangers so retreats into cliche.

I only found out today that to pass their coaching badges they have to do simulated press conferences, no doubt where meaningless cliches are practiced.

I'm happy to give him the benfit of the doubt. I don't need the manager of the team to talk to me like I'm his mate to prove he cares about doing a good job.

Obviously with the nature of football things might go south quickly and next season could be dreadful enough for even us evangelicals to be calling for his head... But I quite like that he's a different person to a lot of managers. As someone else has said Sean O'Driscoll was similar in that he was awkward with the media and never seemed like he wanted to be there.

The great thing about the footage they've released is that you can see exactly why the players have bought into his methods. You'd be motivated by the guy and be tearing up at his speech after getting there, as he was.

Obviously with the nature of football things might go south quickly and next season could be dreadful enough for even us evangelicals to be calling for his head... But I quite like that he's a different person to a lot of managers. As someone else has said Sean O'Driscoll was similar in that he was awkward with the media and never seemed like he wanted to be there.

The great thing about the footage they've released is that you can see exactly why the players have bought into his methods. You'd be motivated by the guy and be tearing up at his speech after getting there, as he was.
I hope that next year people remember this when we aren't winning every game with flair and pinache!

Yeah, I'm sure many of us our similar. I know I am. Hate having to address groups of people I don't know at work, lead zoom bridges where im the centre of attention etc... fills me with dread. but pretty outgoing/comfortable chatting to people I know. Whereas others seem to love it.

Even birthday, prefer to keep to myself as hate random people coming up or being forced into some thank you speeches that happen at work :D.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure many of us our similar. I know I am. Hate having to address groups of people I don't know at work, lead zoom bridges where im the centre of attention etc... fills me with dread. but pretty outgoing/comfortable chatting to people I know. Whereas others seem to love it.

Even birthday, prefer to keep to myself as hate random people coming up or being forced into some thank you speeches that happen at work :D.
100%. How do you think I can spot what Parker is going through? I'd hate to have to explain my work to the media before I had done it then explain why it did/didn't work after I'd done the job!
I found coping strategies eventually but I think we do need to remember that he's still relatively young and learning his job.

100%. How do you think I can spot what Parker is going through? I'd hate to have to explain my work to the media before I had done it then explain why it did/didn't work after I'd done the job!
I found coping strategies eventually but I think we do need to remember that he's still relatively young and learning his job.

Indeed. If my job depended on it so much, I'd look to do things like toastmasters, look into other things that'd help with it.

One of my best friends ended up with a severe benzo addiction to mitigate his nerves as his senior business analyst role developed to involve chairing meetings with directors in a global Corp!

Unless we could fund it by selling players we'd go bust, as would every other team that got relegated from the PL. It still isn't the reason relegated sides are more likely to get promoted though even if you want to pretend otherwise. Go on, have a look at the league one table.
The monies from the Prem are on a different scale to League 1, if I’ve understood you correctly.

The monies from the Prem are on a different scale to League 1, if I’ve understood you correctly.

Yes but if you look at league one pretty much all of the team's that finished in the top six have been relegated from the Championship in the last two seasons. League two isn't much difference. No parachute payments yet relegated sides still dominate the league's... because they always have due to having better players.

Whether parachute payments are the right answer or not it's not them that's causing relegated teams to do well. Statistically they generally do well after relegation although obviously there are exceptions in all leagues including the PL/Championship.

Yes but if you look at league one pretty much all of the team's that finished in the top six have been relegated from the Championship in the last two seasons. League two isn't much difference. No parachute payments yet relegated sides still dominate the league's... because they always have due to having better players.

Whether parachute payments are the right answer or not it's not them that's causing relegated teams to do well. Statistically they generally do well after relegation although obviously there are exceptions in all leagues including the PL/Championship.

Some absolute monsters in league 1 this season isn't there. Strongest its been in ages?

Coupled with likes of Rotherham, who in recent decades have constantly bounced between the divisions and seemingly well equipped Wycombe...

;