Steve Cook

may be harder, but he'll still get a move. scouts will be aware of his attributes, what he could bring to the table and as long as he plays well, it won;t hinder any move to a PL team.

otherwise, why did a club like City sign Ake?? Played in a defence that consistently had a poor goals against record, then eventually relegated.

most teams have players that are capable of playing at a better level, they won;t get missed by professional scouts if they perform consistently well, regardless of whether the team is near the top or bottom of the league
Ake for me is argument for why he won't get PL without us i.e. despite playing alongside a high quality defender like Nathan we were still poor defensively.

On that basis Ollie Watkins wouldn't have moved to the prem!!
Big difference is that Ollie has not just been relegated and failed to be profilic for last few PL seasons.

Better comparison is Lewis Grabban, who scores enough to be given chances in PL but past failures mean it's unlikely someone takes him back to PL.

It's not this season ahead alone, but to shake off the reputation of last few years leading a leaky defence, he needs such a strong season that most likely means we have a very good season.

I am not knocking him, just without rose tinted glasses he has to have a stand out season to improve his CV, otherwise he might just unfortunately give people an opinion that this is now his level. Just how stand out who knows, buts it's hard to see us having an average year if he plays to the level we know he can get to.

Ironically think Cookie is more important to us in the championship than in prem; provides the strength and aerial power that you need to combat physical teams like Cardiff. In prem, maybe need more mobility such as provided by ake.

If we go up this year then I expect he will sign an extension and then we will be it for him until he starts to wind down his career so I think he'd go on to make number two in our all time appearances list.

If we don't go up I think he'll be off at the end of the year. Which would be a crying shame.

Great player for us.

Mind you, did read him described as a “contract rebel” in one recent article though!

If we got promoted I would say.....

only these would be able to hold down a place in the team with any confidence..

Begovic
Brooks
Lerma
L Cook
Danjuma
Solanke

these would need to seriously prove themselves as consistent and able

Rico
Kelly
Mepham
Stanislas
Surridge
Billing
Travers
Stacey

I fear these would maybe not cope as aging stars or be able to be developed as young talent?

S Cook (Squad experience)
Smith (Squad experience)
Gosling (probably moved on?)
Simpson (not good enough IMO)
Kilkenny (probably won't get many chances at PL level)
Oforborh (see above)
Anthony (see above)
Zemura (see above)

I have not included Carter-Vickers or Riqueleme as they are loans and still to really show what they might give us??

which in all honesty would mean that JT would need some serious dosh to spend on defence (CB & LB) another midfielder and a couple of strikers? (replacing Ake,the jock rat,King and Wilson)

Obviously this is open to differing opinions but this would be mine in the harsh realities of PL survival :)

I will not comment on them all but Steve Cook is 29?! Suddenly hes not good enough despite constantly being our best centreback and very rarely ever letting us down?

Edit...just noticed it was pointed out to you above.

Reactions: DJ

;