Steve Cook

I will not comment on them all but Steve Cook is 29?! Suddenly hes not good enough despite constantly being our best centreback and very rarely ever letting us down?

Edit...just noticed it was pointed out to you above.
Steve Cook has been a liability for a while now, people just don’t call him out because they are blinded by what he’s done in the past. He was worse than Franno last season.

Steve Cook has been a liability for a while now, people just don’t call him out because they are blinded by what he’s done in the past. He was worse than Franno last season.
Well think you'll find all teams including man City let in goals, its par for the course being a defender. Not sure why cook is a liability, Francis hardly played last season so not a good comparison either.
Hes been an absolute legend for this club, he walked past us at anfield, absolutely gutted to be injured and out for a while, unlike a number of other players!

He had a poor season, but there were quite obvious extenuating circumstances, no pre-season, niggling injuries, that lack of top fitness saw form drop and like the rest of the squad so did confidence.

This season he’s been excellent. Diego Rico has been lauded at times...who has the higher season average rating on who scored? Cook, despite Rico’s season rating being heavily skewed by his 8.21 rating against Barnsley because of his goal.

He had a poor season, but there were quite obvious extenuating circumstances, no pre-season, niggling injuries, that lack of top fitness saw form drop and like the rest of the squad so did confidence.

This season he’s been excellent. Diego Rico has been lauded at times...who has the higher season average rating on who scored? Cook, despite Rico’s season rating being heavily skewed by his 8.21 rating against Barnsley because of his goal.

Just to go back to Steve Cook, tonight, 8 clearances, 5 interceptions, 78 passes, 81% passing accuracy, more or less the best stats in those categories than anyone else on the pitch (for either side).

It doesn’t even feature in his top 3 performances this season.

There’s a fair few players who deserve some stick. Steve Cook isn’t one of them.

hi waz, any chance you could point out where we've all been going wrong with our opinion of cooky?

he's been outstanding this season and again tonight, though not his best game, made loads of tackles and blocks and won countless headers

Just to go back to Steve Cook, tonight, 8 clearances, 5 interceptions, 78 passes, 81% passing accuracy, more or less the best stats in those categories than anyone else on the pitch (for either side).

There’s a fair few players who deserve some stick. Steve Cook isn’t one of them.
Don't you get it, he's trying to wind you all up, hook ,line and sinker.
How many took the bait?
:fish:

Beside the point of this thread, but I strongly believe that man for man, Steve Cook is the best centre back is this league

urgently needs a new contract.

I would say that Cook isn’t top of the pile when it comes to a technical ball playing centre back.
For me that’s not my highest requirement on a list of centre backs attributes. Commitment, focus, putting your body into uncomfortable situations all the nitty gritty stuff that makes it difficult for the opposition to score a goal, that’s were Cooky excels. His record for first team minutes in a season has got to be consistently near the top, playing on with niggles at times which all help to have that consistency of selection in defence which really seems to help the team perform well.

Always felt as though Cooky is as close to the fans as anyone on the team and even if you don’t rate him, I think you would be hard pushed to slate him.

Steve Cook is great, until he starts to wonder up pitch on one of his runs, which more often than not, end up with the opposition.

But... as has been pointed out, he is a defender and a great one at that. In fact I think the whole back line is improving with every game. Mepham and Kelly seem to be really settling in, and no one is 'mistake-free'... Even top defenders have mistakes in them.

We really shouldn't set the bar so ridiculously high on some of our players.

i can't remember if it was BBC or the Guardian but whoever it was ran a story a week or two back about consistent heading of the ball in football. Of all the players in all the leagues guess who they chose for the picture?

If you throw a brick at him he'll head the fwcker back.......

...trouble is that being a decent CB depends on ball playing abilities and Steve doesn't really have that technique in his locker..it is frustrating that his headed clearances often fall to the opposition and so do some of his passes. These might seem like minute details but I think they are the skills that have probably prevented Steve from getting an England call up becsue his tackling and actual defending is both brave and effective. One of the things he will also be remebered for is his goalscoring which has been exceptional when you consider the over head kicking and rocket shooting, along with important headed goals from set pieces!

;