Steve Cook

Cook is right footed. He just prefers playing on the left which is slightly unusual but not exactly unheard of.

The problem he has as right-footer playing on the right is that any square pass across goal will be on his blindside. This was partly the problem yesterday. When he plays on the left he has more vision for square passes so mistakes are less likely. Where Cook does make mistakes on the left-side is passing out to Daniels - its a similar logic in that this pass is now his blindside.

Very surprised to see people suggest leaving him out though. He always seems to get the grief while I believe Francis is the weak link in our defence at the moment.

This myth about Cook being left-footed comes up on here quite frequesntly. To put this to bed once and for all...from the man himself
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14172214.AFC_Bournemouth__Steve_Cook__underestimated__his_step_into_uncharted_territory/

simonhpieman - 28/11/2016 12:02

Don't forget Ake plays at LB too which would give us Cook, Francis and A Smith all in the back 4...

Where does Mings fit into our defensive set up?

Tinpot Club - 28/11/2016 12:20

Cook is right footed. He just prefers playing on the left which is slightly unusual but not exactly unheard of.

The problem he has as right-footer playing on the right is that any square pass across goal will be on his blindside. This was partly the problem yesterday. When he plays on the left he has more vision for square passes so mistakes are less likely. Where Cook does make mistakes on the left-side is passing out to Daniels - its a similar logic in that this pass is now his blindside.

Very surprised to see people suggest leaving him out though. He always seems to get the grief while I believe Francis is the weak link in our defence at the moment.

Personally, I think Francis is just more consistent than Cook and with Franno you always know what you'll get. Cook's highs are higher than Francis, but his lows are lower, and more obvious. Stoke last week he was superb, on top of his game. Yesterday he royally balled up. You just never quite know.

I think there is room for all 3 of them (Ake) in our spine, if for example Eddie would leave out Surman

Franno v Man Utd on opening day? :)

Franno is our best and most consistent RB. Smith has probably had 3 or 4 good games defensively. Yesterday he was played to give additional defensive cover to Franno with Ox and Sanchez the combatants - he failed dismally and was often absent totally from the right side to be seen central or heading left.
Last week Franno was up against Arnautovic, who is a pretty decent player too.
Smith has improved, but give me Franno with a right sided player who can help defensively any game. Franno can cross - Smith can't and regularly his crosses end up in the crowd.

When Cook has the ball at his feet and has time to look up, he is at his most dangerous. How many times have you seen Cook give it away or try the ridiculous. If Eddie wants his defenders to play out from the back then although Cook has been our best defender, he is a liability. Ake has been outstanding in his two games playing at left central defender. Francis has lost half a yard since last year and was poor yesterday. Its time Eddie spent some serious money on some real defenders that can play. Brad Smith looked out of his depth yesterday, why don't we see Mings. A lot of money for two reserves.

tednphil - 28/11/2016 12:28

simonhpieman - 28/11/2016 12:02

Don't forget Ake plays at LB too which would give us Cook, Francis and A Smith all in the back 4...

Where does Mings fit into our defensive set up?

On the bench.

Mings has played all of 45 minutes for the first team in a friendly nearly 2 seasons ago, 45 minutes in a friendly this season, 5 minutes in the league and, please correct me if I'm wrong, 1 appearance in a cup against opposition lower than that he was playing against before we signed him.

While I don't doubt he had the attributes to be a success before his injury he needs to prove himself before we give him a chance in the league, most likely in the cup.

He was, I was watching the warm up and there was the mighty Fletch collecting footballs. At the risk of appearing incredibly naive and bit discombobulated what does Fletch do during the course of the warm ups?

Redpost - 6/12/2016 00:41

He was, I was watching the warm up and there was the mighty Fletch collecting footballs. At the risk of appearing incredibly naive and bit discombobulated what does Fletch do during the course of the warm ups?

He collects the footballs.

As much as I think he's the epitome of what our national team needs, I'd like to see a few more confidence building performances like last night from him, proving to himself and all of us that he can play on the right first. I genuinely think it's mostly in his head

;