Thoughts v Boro

Anyone who expected April to be a breeze of champagne football was always going to be disappointed given the strength and congestion of the fixtures.

If you'd offered Parker yesterday: a better result than Forest and matching Huddersfield. Our defence restricting Boro to basically nothing all game, whilst we create two clear chances of our own, he'd have taken that absolutely.

Long term its up to Parker to find the right balance with these players and with his tactics. He's a young manager with a squad and club that's in transition. I see him as a steady if unexciting pair of hands.

Lets be honest we won't be paired together forever, we're a convenient match for one another at this time.

Anyone who expected April to be a breeze of champagne football was always going to be disappointed given the strength and congestion of the fixtures.

If you'd offered Parker yesterday: a better result than Forest and matching Huddersfield. Our defence restricting Boro to basically nothing all game, whilst we create two clear chances of our own, he'd have taken that absolutely.

Long term its up to Parker to find the right balance with these players and with his tactics. He's a young manager with a squad and club that's in transition. I see him as a steady if unexciting pair of hands.

Lets be honest we won't be paired together forever, we're a convenient match for one another at this time.
Again, I find it a bit frustrating reading comments such as ‘anybody expecting champagne football.’

This kind of comment has fallen into the trap of believing things either have to be black or white. The performances either have to be majestic or turgid. This isn’t the case.

I don’t expect us to play champagne football every week, but I do expect us to do an awful lot better than testing the opposition goal keeper three times in the last three games.

Stoke scored three at West Brom, we didn’t even have a shot in target. Reading scored two vs Sheffield United, we didn’t have a meaningful shot on target. Of course the dynamics of those games are different but are we honestly saying that we shouldn’t be expecting a lot better than this? Other very average sides in this league are clearly capable of it, why shouldn’t we be?

Again, I find it a bit frustrating reading comments such as ‘anybody expecting champagne football.’

This kind of comment has fallen into the trap of believing things either have to be black or white. The performances either have to be majestic or turgid. This isn’t the case.

I don’t expect us to play champagne football every week, but I do expect us to do an awful lot better than testing the opposition goal keeper three times in the last three games.

Stoke scored three at West Brom, we didn’t even have a shot in target. Reading scored two vs Sheffield United, we didn’t have a meaningful shot on target. Of course the dynamics of those games are different but are we honestly saying that we shouldn’t be expecting a lot better than this? Other very average sides in this league are clearly capable of it, why shouldn’t we be?

You realise everyone we play deliberately tries to strangle the life out of our games because it's the only way to stop us?

You realise everyone we play deliberately tries to strangle the life out of our games because it's the only way to stop us?
Of course I realise that opposition teams try to counteract us.

Do you realise that as our manager, it is up to Parker to come up with a solution to combat that so we can still be an attacking threat?

He knows exactly how these sides are going to set up and yet he doesn’t change the way we set up at all to combat this.

Of course I realise that opposition teams try to counteract us.

Do you realise that as our manager, it is up to Parker to come up with a solution to combat that so we can still be an attacking threat?

He knows exactly how these sides are going to set up and yet he doesn’t change the way we set up at all to combat this.

His job is clearly promotion, that's all.

His job is clearly promotion, that's all.
Let’s hope that he achieves it then. Because if he doesn’t I feel like the back lash is going to be pretty huge.

Missing out while playing exciting football is unfortunate but something that most would be able to stomach. Missing out while playing this conservatively is a whole different kettle of fish.

If the argument is that his style is dull but will achieve the end goal then he quite simply has to achieve the end goal. If not then what has all of this been for? We will have sat through numerous turgid displays on the promise that ‘it’s ok we will still go up,’ only to fail in the end anyway.

On a side note I have found that there are ways to create your own entertainment at the games nowadays.

We had the ball half way inside the Boro half yesterday and just for a laugh I shouted out ‘Travers is free.’

5 seconds later you will never guess who had the ball at his feet.

Let’s hope that he achieves it then. Because if he doesn’t I feel like the back lash is going to be pretty huge.

Missing out while playing exciting football is unfortunate but something that most would be able to stomach. Missing out while playing this conservatively is a whole different kettle of fish.

If the argument is that his style is dull but will achieve the end goal then he quite simply has to achieve the end goal. If not then what has all of this been for? We will have sat through numerous turgid displays on the promise that ‘it’s ok we will still go up,’ only to fail in the end anyway.

Backlash lol. The backlash had been going on all season, we've got booing in the stands, whining on here after every game that he's not as good as a previous manager that half the people on here spent years criticising. They are insufferable already so why do you think anybody cares about a 'backlash' especially from you who has never had anything positive to say about AFCB.

Backlash lol. The backlash had been going on all season, we've got booing in the stands, whining on here after every game that he's not as good as a previous manager that half the people on here spent years criticising. They are insufferable already so why do you think anybody cares about a 'backlash' especially from you who has never had anything positive to say about AFCB.
I was clearly referring to a mass back lash. If you think a few numpties booing in the stands and me posting negative comments on here constitutes a back lash then I feel like you are going to be very surprised by what is to come if we don’t get promoted.

I was clearly referring to a mass back lash. If you think a few numpties booing in the stands and me posting negative comments on here constitutes a back lash then I feel like you are going to be very surprised by what is to come if we don’t get promoted.

If he fails he'll only have himself to blame. I can't say I'd be bothered if he did get sacked. That doesn't justify the idiotic booing and the endless negative crap you've been spewing on here all season. It's been embarrassing at times.

Can agree and disagree with this sentiment.

Any manager who gets you promoted should be allowed that chance, but it'll undoubtedly end in disaster if we go up.

Momentum usually sees the promoted teams carry that through. Confidence, and belief carries on from the achievement.

If we go up what momentum can we carry forward?

There isn't any.

Interesting you say that,would you say Norwich had momentum going into this season?
They were pretty much last seasons Fulham,and won the League easily,yet their showing has been pretty embarrassing.
It's not a given that if you play free flowing attacking football that you will stay up.
We don't really know what will happen,we are only speculating,Parkers style might be more suited to playing against teams who will undoubtedly attack us ,who knows ?

Parker unfortunately can't control putting the ball on target or in the net for them. I'm sure he wishes he could, given he wants to control everything else!

His formation changes at WBA created enough chances to win that game comfortably, despite the 10 minute defensive clusterf**k at the start. You could argue we setup wrong initially? It was the team I'd have picked though.

It was frustrating I grant you, I was there. That one was more on the players for me, not SP.

Sheffield we blatantly set out for a point, that's not something I'd want to see every week but we don't do it every week. The handbrake release at Huddersfield and Bristol City was welcomed.

We have a manager who is more conservative, that's true. We also have attackers who aren't exactly clinical and who need four chances for every one they score. Those factors combine to produce some frustration and I get that.

I guess ultimately I'm prepared to accept it if getting the job done this season, and then we see where things go.

Last edited:
If he fails he'll only have himself to blame. I can't say I'd be bothered if he did get sacked. That doesn't justify the idiotic booing and the endless negative crap you've been spewing on here all season. It's been embarrassing at times.
It kind of does justify that, because it will show that I was right. I’m not on here to be blindly positive. I’m on here to call the situation how I see it. If you prefer to be positive regardless then that’s fine, but don’t expect everyone to be the same.

Parker unfortunately can't control putting the ball on target or in the net for them. I'm sure he wishes he could, given be wants to control everything else!

His formation changes at WBA created enough chances to win that game comfortably, despite the 10 minute defensive clusterf**k at the start. You could argue we setup wrong initially? It was the team I'd have picked though.

It was frustrating I grant you, I was there. That one was more on the players for me, not SP.

Sheffield we blatantly set out for a point, that's not something I'd want to see every week but we don't do it every week. The handbrake release at Huddersfield and Bristol City was welcomed.

We have a manager who is more conservative, that's true. We also have attackers who aren't exactly clinical and who need four chances for every one they score. Those factors combine to produce some frustration and I get that.

I guess ultimately I'm prepare to accept it if getting the job done.
There certainly is an argument to be made that if he gets the job done then it has been worth it. If he doesn’t then my God what a waste of a season and a fantastic opportunity.

Yes, lets hope he achieves promotion so you can recharge your batteries and start all over again next season, deep joy. His sole job is to get the club promoted and I recall it was a three year project. I doubt Max sat on his £130 million debt really gives a toss how pretty or entertaining it is for you. As it stands he's actually doing the job he was paid for so lets see what happens instead of you making your usual wild predictions. A mass back lash lol- sounds scary but will probably involve you and Dawson dripping on all summer.

It kind of does justify that, because it will show that I was right. I’m not on here to be blindly positive. I’m on here to call the situation how I see it. If you prefer to be positive regardless then that’s fine, but don’t expect everyone to be the same.

No it won't show you were right. I am an AFCB supporter, because I love the club. You look for any conceivable way to slag them off and it will be the same next year and the year after that, whoever the manager is.

Getting a new person in to correctly assess who to keep and who to release and put the building blocks in place for a replacement team would be crazy. I know a lot don't like Parker but we've bought a ticket on his bus, we should see where the destination is before jumping off in the middle of the desert.[/QUOTE]
Not sure I bought a ticket for his bus....feels more like I was kidnapped

No it won't show you were right. I am an AFCB supporter, because I love the club. You look for any conceivable way to slag them off and it will be the same next year and the year after that, whoever the manager is.
Ummmm no. I base my opinions on what I am watching. You are able to be a supporter without being happy with the style of football that we play. Refusing to acknowledge that we have quite often been very poor does not make you some kind of Uber fan.

;