Thoughts v Bristol City

If Christies shooting is a problem...can it not be fixed with coaching from one who was adept at the skill...send him over to see Ted Mac in the Summer....or Pitman !

Well, that was an enjoyable football match and a very satisfying performance from our boys. 3 cracking goals ( maybe Sir Tricky's goal the best) , loads of close calls from us, Bristol playing their part in a good advertisement of championship football. My thoughts are, on paper all our remaining matches are difficult, play like we have in the last 2 matches and on the pitch we'll be alright. : )

Not knocking anyone or besmirching Eddie's memory but the two goals we conceded and the goals we scored, were reminiscent of our last promotion. a corner and 2 goals up in injury time our full back loses the ball in their half. We didn't blow everyone away, every match under Eddie, there were plenty of white knuckle moments under Eddie. Plus all our goals were class : )

Teams just don't go to "damage limitation mode" when they go 2 down away against "promotion favourites". They're all fitter and in better condition than last time. We were one of the fittest teams last time, there's no unfit, under conditioned teams anymore. I haven't seen anyone "throw the towel in" during a match this season. : )

My thought is, having watched both Bristol and Huddersfield, home and away this season, there's not much between them but somehow Huddersfield went on a long unbeaten run and we beat both of them twice, comfortably. We're in control of our destiny with games running out for our challengers, maybe Scottie's got more right than wrong : )

Ps Ryan Christie misses a hatful of goals but has two points winning assists in the next two matches, he's a hero and the goals he created will be worth more than the ones he's missed : )

We bossed the game but defensive errors nearly cost us the points…thought Smith…Cook…Lerma and Solanke were major factors in our win plus a great goal from Siriki Dembele…Zemura great going forward and linking up with Anthony but Zemura’s defending was awful..have to add that Christie must improve his finishing as Stanislas would have buried a couple of the chances he had…

Dembele… just seen it back again, knew it was a special goal but didn’t realise how special until seeing all angles. Not many individual goals where a player goes to the byline then comes back inside to score. Superb.

We were saying at half time all our goals look the same and you never get a great individual goal or long range effort.

Fast forward 40 odd mins and we’d had both!

Dembele… just seen it back again, knew it was a special goal but didn’t realise how special until seeing all angles. Not many individual goals where a player goes to the byline then comes back inside to score. Superb.

We were saying at half time all our goals look the same and you never get a great individual goal or long range effort.

Fast forward 40 odd mins and we’d had both!
It was class. Can’t remember having a player like him before who can beat multiple players with a dribble. In our first Prem season Sterling scored a goal vs us at the Ethiad and this reminded me very much of that goal.

We bossed the game but defensive errors nearly cost us the points…thought Smith…Cook…Lerma and Solanke were major factors in our win plus a great goal from Siriki Dembele…Zemura great going forward and linking up with Anthony but Zemura’s defending was awful..have to add that Christie must improve his finishing as Stanislas would have buried a couple of the chances he had…
Stanislas would have pulled his hamstring if he sprinted like Christie did to get into the end of that chance he missed.

Don’t think Zemura’s defending was awful. Our full backs had clearly been instructed to push up high and press the opposition wing backs, leaving space in behind for the centre backs to mop up. It worked well all game aside from 2 occasions, one time Smith got caught out too high (Travers save) and one time when Zemura did (second goal.) It wasn’t executed perfectly by any means and will need to be worked on a bit, but it is definitely preferable to the turgid passive style we’ve been watching for much of the season.

Well that back three or five City played really did for us. A pathetic 25 chances. I’m off to watch Luton if that’s all the team can serve up.
Both teams looked OK when they weren't sitting back managing the score. Both looked vulnerable when they were.

Their second was sloppy defending.. I know we lost the ball and they broke, but we still had three players just watching when they put the cross in - surely one could have gone over to try and close him down. Too easy for him to find Weinman to score.

Christie... all he had to do was put his foot through the ball first time. Take a touch and he's closed down. Lack of confidence in front of goal perhaps?

Loved Dembele's goal... their defender tried to neck-tackle him at the start of his run, but instead of going down, he's wriggled free and led the City defence a merry dance and sat the keeper on his backside in the process. Wonderful goal.

Not seen a replay of City's penalty claim (it's not on AFCB extended highlights) but from where I was sat a long way away it looked very soft.

Just watched the extended highlights- some great football and very good goals …
But , our defending was wink for both goals - Anthony and Lerma too weak dealing with the cross for their player to head in and for their second nobody closing down the player on the ball or trying to block the space ..
Still , overall a pretty dominant performance and it keeps us where we want to be …
UTCIAD.

Fantastic game of football I thought and we took the intent from Huddersfield into this game. The patterns were great although a little too similar for my liking, not that that matters when they work which they largely did today.

Good points
Lewis Cook… finally seeing the player he is again and it’s majestic.
Pressing in second half was fantastic
Solanke bullied them as did Jeff.

Negatives
Set piece attacking and defending looks like we just don’t practice either.

Christie. Cost us games earlier in season with his ‘ 5 year old wearing flip flops’ shooting. Could have cost us again. He just simply can’t start in a forward position. If he has to play it should be withdrawn but ideally just play Cantwell. If Billing played like he did every week his detractors would be foaming at the mouth…

A must win today with the fixtures coming up and we did it in style.

He won;t play Cantwell there, he can barely use his left foot...

An alternative is Dembele who is clearly more dangerous around the box, but doesn't track his man back or help his full back, both things Christie excels at. Horses for courses, not too many complete players at this level. Possibly something to ponder in the summer if the next level beckons.

Dembele is all right foot too, so he won;t play on right for us unless of injuries to left footed, right side players.

It was class. Can’t remember having a player like him before who can beat multiple players with a dribble. In our first Prem season Sterling scored a goal vs us at the Ethiad and this reminded me very much of that goal.

"Can’t remember having a player like him before who can beat multiple players with a dribble."

How long have you been supporting watching us?

You haven't got a very good memory Waza.....we had one last season!

;