Thoughts v Bristol City

For a player with Christie's overall ability, his lack of being able to leather a ball is astonishing.

However, given his skills its a psychological part of his game, rather than a true inability to hit the ball.

Deer in headlights perhaps......

Scored enough decent goals in Scotland to show he can do it

Kelly should not be captain.

Of all the 11 players on the field again Kelly was in the bottom 3.

Kelly only seems to overshoot long balls, and hoof clearances.
Regressed since he joined us, along with Mepham.

Good to see the creativity and attacking intents but lacking the clinical finishing from early season.

Pleased that Lewis cook has kicked on - seems a different player since that substitution vs boreham wood.

I thought this would be a difficult game today - think Bristol city are playing better than results suggest - so getting the win and dominating for long spells was so important given two tough away games to come.

Incredibly pleasing the show of intent we’ve shown in the last two games. The performances have been light years ahead of the turgid Peterborough and Reading displays. It’s like Parker has all of a sudden told them to express themselves.

The one point I will make is that when the full backs bomb forward then somebody has to cover that space they leave in behind. City created two chances from open play and both happened because our full backs were caught higher up the pitch.

Positives:
-L Cook really is a phenomenal footballer when utilised in his best position and in form. Dictated absolutely everything today. A joy to watch.

-Lerma- what an absolutely colossal performance. His link up play in the final third and his constant willingness to run in behind was absolutely key to a very good performance. Often this season Solanke has had no one running beyond him, today that wasn’t the case.

-Solanke- complete strikers performance. Hold up, running in behind and a goal. Perfect.

-Christie- can’t shoot for toffee but absolutely essential to how we play.

Negatives-
Nat Phillips. Looks shaky. I don’t really get him as a player if I’m being honest. Looks uncomfortable dealing with situations that should be bread and butter to him. Not a Mepham fan at all but I see little from Phillips to suggest that he’s any better.

-aside from that it was just getting caught out with the full backs high up the pitch h a couple of times.

Good summary apart from Nat Phillips. He was a rock today.

At the end of the day it was an entertaining game and another 3 points. Apart from defending the set piece we played some great football. I just wish we could have a greater desire to have more shots on goal as Lewis Cook proved.
Onwards and upwards, looking forward to West Brom.

You did, and then LC stopped running with their 14 who then ran on and scored.
Watched it back and yes, L Cook does have to shoulder part of the blame for the second goal. Made little sense for him not to track the run, he didn’t stop to mark anyone. Communication should have been better. If he’s going to let him run then he needs to pass him on.

I saw Zemura lose a cheap ball on the halfway line for their 2nd goal.
Agreed, but credit to Weimann who made the forward pass from just inside our half and then raced forward to tap in from three yards. Virtually impossible to mark.
When you look at the number of low crosses we put in, the return is poor, slow build up means there are too many defenders in the box.
I also think Christie is a terrific player and vital to the team but despair over his shooting and goalscoring ability. There are many players who are not prolific scorers but few can have such a poor goals to shots ratio. This far into his career is it something he could improve with specific coaching, preferably by someone who was a prolific goalscorer?
Wonderful technique from Lerma for his goal-bound volley.

Unfortunately for Christie his defence splitting pass to unlock them for our first will not get an assist. Same as his pass against Huddersfield. If he continues to create chances from nothing then I’m ok for now him continuing to be in the 11

Unfortunately for Christie his defence splitting pass to unlock them for our first will not get an assist. Same as his pass against Huddersfield. If he continues to create chances from nothing then I’m ok for now him continuing to be in the 11

He was credited with an assist as well today.

Great stuff to come from a goal down early. Players seem focused on taking us back up.keep our foot on the pedal now right to the finish.

Agreed, but credit to Weimann who made the forward pass from just inside our half and then raced forward to tap in from three yards. Virtually impossible to mark.
When you look at the number of low crosses we put in, the return is poor, slow build up means there are too many defenders in the box.
I also think Christie is a terrific player and vital to the team but despair over his shooting and goalscoring ability. There are many players who are not prolific scorers but few can have such a poor goals to shots ratio. This far into his career is it something he could improve with specific coaching, preferably by someone who was a prolific goalscorer?
Wonderful technique from Lerma for his goal-bound volley.
We were just talking about the Lerma volley and was wondering what percentage it will be for Xg.

I always respect and often agree with your opinions Neil ,but sorry,with Christie you are wrong.
Baffling how his finishing is so poor,look at videos of him at Aberdeen and Celtic on YouTube and he scores some crackers.
Tougher league I know ,but he gets in the positions,which is the hard part,just baffled why he can't do the last bit.
He has to start though for the other parts of his game he brings to the team.
Fair enough. So start him deeper. Our game plan is about getting the front three in. Anthony doesn’t score enough in these positions but at least he has 8. Solanke is over indexing. Christie, 3 goals, from an advanced forward in a 3. Sometimes the chances only fall to him (Boro away springs to mind) if he can’t finish that’s a game lost (like it was). If you play in a front three you have to have goals in you.

;