Thoughts v West Brom

I agree with the sentiment that a bad day at the office happens every so often, but what slightly worries me is that we had a few warnings about playing short pass triangles in our 6 yard box from goal kicks and it wasn't until we were 2-0 down as a consequence that we stopped. If Cahill isn't injured we could really do with his experience, leadership and footballing intelligence for the final run in. In my opinion, most of our poor performances come from trying to overplay the ball at the back.
It is really important now that we don't lose the 6 pointers to Forest, Sheffield Utd and Middlesbrough. We've got some very hard fixtures coming up.
WBA left out their 2 best players, had a half empty stadium because how terrible they have been and we were at full strength, I was confident of the win until Kris Temple said that Keith Stroud had refereed us 12 times previously and we had won all 12 games, this was bound to be unlucky 13.
As mentioned earlier Anthony did quite well and was unlucky to be subbed, but Dembele looked like our most dangerous player when he came on. Andy Carol was probably MOM which says a lot.

We are an odd team I think. We are either fizz or flat. Sometimes in the same game.

Rarely do we play two games in a row either fizz or flat. We never seem to be in the middle. You can tell whether it’s going to be fizz or flat in the first ten minutes.

My thoughts, hard to pick a MOM, Lerma for me for not being below par followed by Smith. It seems steamingly obvious to me that Phillips and Kelly is our most nervy partnership of the season at the back against half decent opposition. We sold Cook, won’t play Mepham or unbelievably Cahill whose partnership with Kelly coincided with our best run.

Positives…
Not many. We were better second half but with wayward shooting. Dembele looked bright.

Negatives
Poor in air again. Set pieces clueless. Christie once again non existent. Billing on one of his poor control games… everything happening in slow motion with same repetitive patterns and too many people advanced of the ball looking back at it. I was bored to be honest.

Sunday I thought we were nailed on promotion. Now think we are not.

Fizz and flat.

We are an odd team I think. We are either fizz or flat. Sometimes in the same game.

Rarely do we play two games in a row either fizz or flat. We never seem to be in the middle. You can tell whether it’s going to be fizz or flat in the first ten minutes.

My thoughts, hard to pick a MOM, Lerma for me for not being below par followed by Smith. It seems steamingly obvious to me that Phillips and Kelly is our most nervy partnership of the season at the back against half decent opposition. We sold Cook, won’t play Mepham or unbelievably Cahill whose partnership with Kelly coincided with our best run.

Positives…
Not many. We were better second half but with wayward shooting. Dembele looked bright.

Negatives
Poor in air again. Set pieces clueless. Christie once again non existent. Billing on one of his poor control games… everything happening in slow motion with same repetitive patterns and too many people advanced of the ball looking back at it. I was bored to be honest.

Sunday I thought we were nailed on promotion. Now think we are not.

Fizz and flat.
Very naive to think at any point we were nailed on for promotion with our run in.

Very naive to think at any point we were nailed on for promotion with our run in.
Mmm… six points clear with three games in hand we were on Sunday. I think ‘naive’ is a little unfair. As for the run in I think we play better against the top sides than the bottom as they attack us and leave space behind. Still time will tell and at the moment I’m less confident.

Waz has a point
I absolutely do. Forest are legitimately favourites at this point. (That’s not a prediction btw) Just saying that with the nature of the fixtures it is theirs to lose, not ours. We simply don’t have it in us to pick up anywhere near 2 PPG from our remaining fixtures.

Mmm… six points clear with three games in hand we were on Sunday. I think ‘naive’ is a little unfair. As for the run in I think we play better against the top sides than the bottom as they attack us and leave space behind. Still time will tell and at the moment I’m less confident.
We didn’t have any games in hand on Forest. Maybe naive is unfair. But if you were aware of our respective fixture lists then I’m astounded you could fancy us. Our issue is that virtually all of our remaining games are ordinarily games you would say ‘I’d take a point.’ We’ve dropped too many points vs the lower sides and if we’re being honest, a side which takes 3 points from 12 against Hull and Peterborough was always going to struggle to pick up enough points. It’s essentially giving our rivals a 9 point head start when all is said and done at the end of the season.

I really thought we looked nervous at the back. Never helps with all this tip tapping about from goal kicks that puts us under pressure. Talking to some WBA fans after the game said they couldn't believe how easy they slipped into a two goal lead.
It's a shame the steadying influence of Cahill at the back seems a distant memory.

We didn’t have any games in hand on Forest. Maybe naive is unfair. But if you were aware of our respective fixture lists then I’m astounded you could fancy us. Our issue is that virtually all of our remaining games are ordinarily games you would say ‘I’d take a point.’ We’ve dropped too many points vs the lower sides and if we’re being honest, a side which takes 3 points from 12 against Hull and Peterborough was always going to struggle to pick up enough points. It’s essentially giving our rivals a 9 point head start when all is said and done at the end of the season.
On Sunday, which is when i said i was more confident, Forest had 11 points less than us with 9 games to go. Ask their fans what position and fixture list they would like. Plus we have to play them…

Look, you know my reservations on Parker, not as strong as yours but still very present in my head. I also am not sure what’s worse, staying down or going up with him and this squad!!

Following the last two games though I was confident, not so much tonight though. I think we are largely agreeing.

On Sunday, which is when i said i was more confident, Forest had 11 points less than us with 9 games to go. Ask their fans what position and fixture list they would like. Plus we have to play them…

Look, you know my reservations on Parker, not as strong as yours but still very present in my head. I also am not sure what’s worse, staying down or going up with him and this squad!!

Following the last two games though I was confident, not so much tonight though. I think we are largely agreeing.
Yes I think we are. I have actually spoken to a few Forest (family in Nottingham, Dad was a lifelong county fan but some of his extended family are Forest) and they were very confident going into tonight’s games. They genuinely believe they are going up automatically.

As for Parker yes, I don’t think he’s capable of getting the best out of this squad, never have done. The odd performance has been sensational, but the moment teams make things difficult for us and don’t give us space to play in we start to look pretty turgid. His style is too easy to counteract, he gets away with it sometimes due to our individual quality.

Collective poor performance tonight or was it the Stroud effect good job he brought his yellow card with him. Move on.

stating the obvious, the game was lost in the first 20 minutes. we came out playing that ponderous, england-esque, pass it around the back at slow tempo style that is always a sign somethings not right. we gradually started picking up the tempo, and then our normal quality was there, but it was too late as the game was lost. panic caused poor finishing. 3 points chucked away against a very average opposition.

Last edited:

Thats where I am at. Reality is NF still have to win another 6 games ignoring Fulham and our fixtures for a minute. Its unlikely that will happen because football isnt played on paper.

That will still only mean we needed 11 from 8 games, obviously in that scenario NF game is pivotal.

I think we will lose at Sheff Utd, so its going to get more anxious. The turnaround time from last night always concerned me and now I suspect we will finally have to play without Solanke now.

That said we are well capable of winning the required games, just as likely we'll go and win at Sheffield now!

Regardless I would still always take 8 points clear with 8 games to go. If Forest catch us then fair play to them.

Same goes to Fulham, two tricky games and they pick up 6 points, deserved Champions now.

Thats where I am at. Reality is NF still have to win another 6 games ignoring Fulham and our fixtures for a minute. Its unlikely that will happen because football isnt played on paper.

That will still only mean we needed 11 from 8 games, obviously in that scenario NF game is pivotal.

I think we will lose at Sheff Utd, so its going to get more anxious. The turnaround time from last night always concerned me and now I suspect we will finally have to play without Solanke now.

That said we are well capable of winning the required games, just as likely we'll go and win at Sheffield now!

Regardless I would still always take 8 points clear with 8 games to go. If Forest catch us then fair play to them.

Same goes to Fulham, two tricky games and they pick up 6 points, deserved Champions now.

I think there's going to be a swing the other way at some point, where we win and Forest lose and that will be that. As you say, they won't win every game and whilst we have our issues we go into most games as slight favourites even against the better sides. Well pick off the wins here and there and do enough.

That said, if we lose the next two it might set a cat amongst the pigeons.

How bad is solanke’s injury?

Loan players from clubs like Liverpool and Manu.....not a very good idea....they've been rejected as such, they come to a tinpot environment, feel like lemons, and come to a realisation that they were 'not that good' and switch off. Its an Ego buster with chips!

If they were that good, they would've forced their way in up there....like G.Best did.

Ridicule my stance if you like...at your peril in terms of your expectations.
The Loan System is basically ' a load of crap.. ! Defoe, Brad Smith.....Iturbe..

:throw:

;