VAR

This.

They chose to use the Brentford penalty so Webb could make some spurious claim that they didn't go back far enough - as if that were acceptable.

As soon as I had seen it - once, in real time - I was certain it would be overturned. Toney's role was obvious to anyone who has ever watched or played a bit of football at any level and yet it escaped and never even occured to FOUR fully qualified professional officials, two with direct access to replays.

Thanks for nothing Howard Webb, your smooth PR smokescreen doesn't cut it. Your officials haven't got a clue what they're looking at or looking for. They know the rules but haven't got an ounce of footballing nous.

This indeed. Why wouldn't they do their job? The 'penalty' was the same incident, not separate.

This.

They chose to use the Brentford penalty so Webb could make some spurious claim that they didn't go back far enough - as if that were acceptable.

do separate teams of var officials watch games in their entirety or do they only step in when alerted to do so?
if they'd been watching the full game there's no way they should have missed toney's cheating
if they hadn't been watching the full game then var isn't fit for purpose

do separate teams of var officials watch games in their entirety or do they only step in when alerted to do so?
if they'd been watching the full game there's no way they should have missed toney's cheating
if they hadn't been watching the full game then var isn't fit for purpose

Yes think they watch a live feed and delayed feed as well .

It's still led by the on-field referee and in the Toney incident, the referee was set on giving a penalty, with the VAR officials being complicit in supporting that. There was no interest in the obvious foul that led to Senesi being catapulted forward. It wasn't a different incident. It was the same one. From the stands it was bleedin obvious, let alone for someone paid to follow the ball. With multiple video angles it was wilful to ignore it and whilst some of our earlier season decisions might have been contentious, this one should form training for referees in (unconscious) bias. How not to referee. It was almost as sickening as the injustice at Burnley in 2019-20 and whilst I had attempted VAR neutrality, Toney getting away with this was truly shocking. Not sure his ban is karma as such, but I would have preferred to have held the 0-0 as the match seemed destined to be.

I have seen no evidence of VAR improvement this season over three seasons ago, which you would reasonably expect. It's still the case that possibly for the majority of incidents, the poor paying punter in the ground has no idea whether something has been looked at, or not, or exactly what was looked at when a decsion has been made. It does not seem right that amchair viewers know and see more.

I await some neutral research being carried out leading to the scrapping of VAR as it is not doing what it was introduced for and any club you care to name will have VAR grievances - even West Ham!
That's a very good point ! The whole thing still depends upon the on-field referee deeming something worthy of checking. This is why, when the whole idea was being considered, I suggested that it needs to also have a more independent element in deciding such things. I suggested something like the line call challenges you get in tennis. Let each team have three VAR requests per game as well. That way, if the team feels as though a decision is clearly wrong or an incident has been missed completely, the team captain or the coach can use one of their VAR review calls to get the incident reviewed. I'm not sure how well it would work in practice but it would at least introduce an independent element to the entire process, something not dependent upon how the on-field referee saw the incident.

But if the VAR referee then still can't see the punch to your player's face, I suppose it won't really help at all ! :shake: :censor:

Didn't get around to watching the Monday Night Football version of this but here's Michael 'Charisma' Owen hosting a walk though probably the same incidents for the international audience.

I jumped on a plane to the USA to watch it *cough*. You can do the same if you so desire.

you can have all the tech in the world, but theres no way you can tell exactly what moment the forward pass is played, which completely negates all the inches, elbows & knee cap crap

I wish we could go back, but the binary types have let the genie out of the bottle. In that instance this is the next best thing because it’s quicker than currently. It’s still far from instant unfortunately, but it’s quicker.

I know it’s being given to us, I know Callum Wilson is the beneficiary and it’s great to see him score for England.

But that’s never a penalty. Shambles.

SSN

PGMOL have confirmed that Mike Dean will be leaving the organisation this summer.

Dean became a dedicated VAR last summer and has also spent time coaching match officials over the past 12 months after calling time on his long and distinguished on-field career at the end of the 2021/22 season.

The 55-year-old started officiating in 1985 and progressed through the ranks to an assistant referee and then a referee in the Football League in 1995 and 1997 respectively.

Dean was promoted to the Premier League in 2000 and went on to referee over 550 matches in total in the top flight.

His performances were rewarded with a promotion to FIFA’s list of match officials just three years later, which was followed by being appointed to the FA Cup and League Cup finals at Wembley in 2008 and 2011 respectively.

PGMOL said they wished Dean every success for the future.

SSN

PGMOL have confirmed that Mike Dean will be leaving the organisation this summer.

Dean became a dedicated VAR last summer and has also spent time coaching match officials over the past 12 months after calling time on his long and distinguished on-field career at the end of the 2021/22 season.

The 55-year-old started officiating in 1985 and progressed through the ranks to an assistant referee and then a referee in the Football League in 1995 and 1997 respectively.

Dean was promoted to the Premier League in 2000 and went on to referee over 550 matches in total in the top flight.

His performances were rewarded with a promotion to FIFA’s list of match officials just three years later, which was followed by being appointed to the FA Cup and League Cup finals at Wembley in 2008 and 2011 respectively.

PGMOL said they wished Dean every success for the future.
Distinguished is pgmol speak for controversial.

Good riddance to someone who consistently failed fans, players, managers by his poor performance.

VAR shambles in the England game.

Ref gives nothing, we then get a var check for a penalty to England.

The ref gives a yellow card for potential leg breaker on the defender which left a stud mark all the way down the shin.

Doesn’t give a penalty though as they instead decided there had been an England foul before hand.

Ref announces the decision over the tannoy to the stadium, which was good. Even if the decision was rather debatable.

It also took far to long to sort out.

;