What’s going on in the boardroom?

You could've equally made the argument that had he renewed Cahill he'd slot right into the team that produced the best start in our history.
And the start of last season we were worried about the strength of the squad and the youngsters ended up doing just great. Lets just wait and see what happens and Dont Panic Mr Mannering. (Just yet) I would rather a team that know each other and what is expected of them rather than what has happened a Forest. We all know teams where they have assembled great individuals at great cost but they do not gel as a team.

[QUOTE="Old Cherry, post: 647475, member: 7270"
That's what scouting was/is for....
.... FOR F√CK'S SAKE
][/QUOTE]
You're the one that said that there is plenty of talent in Scotland!! Why not let our scouts know their names?

If we are looking at other clubs in our division who are spending, then I might suggest that as Paul McCartney might have written, had he not discovered that it isn't what the girls wanted, "money can't buy me goals."

Nottingham Forest have spent £60 million already, plus a likely £40 million just on those players wages. It's fast approaching a Fulham-sized gamble to stay up. Time will tell whether it pays off.

We have a number of players proven good enough for the Premier League along with a few who may or may be. Who would have thought our League One players would thrive so well in the top division when we first went up?

Also, remember that some of this season's transfer business was done last season when we made signings for the future. Then, is Fredericks designed to be the Cahill equivalent for this season?

I am pleased that we are not falling for the spiel of agents and clubs and paying over the odds. My guess (and we are all actually guessing, aren't we?) is that Liverpool want far too much for Philips and 'Boro are holding out on Tavernier. This is a binary situation, we will either get them or we don't. I would like to see a few signings, sure. But not at any Ibe, price.

I hope that the club are playing their cards close to their chest just so as not to inflate prices and not attract attention to players that we are interested in.

14 points before the international break and this thread will have dropped to were threads go when they outrun their useful lives or when the usual suspects have stopped battering each other for the sake of it.

This is where being in The PL is a bitch…we now have to face over priced fees for any player we go for and higher wages so the dream of 100 million is a bit of a fairytale. Realistically speaking we probably only have about 20% of that to spend on fees…and that amounts to one big signing and a few more bargain ones. I hope that we can strengthen the defence as it will be severely tested in the top league….but even if we spunked the majority of our budget on Phillips it would still leave light as we need GK cover and full back back up. Obviously SP isn’t happy as he will carry the can for us going down as players always seem to just go in the aftermath.
We have a decent squad and if you take away the top 8 or so teams then we need to be competing with the remaining 11…. which I think we have every chance of doing.
I wouldn’t be blaming Max for wanting to recoup some of his capital in todays fragile world of commerce given his nationality and the hit that his business may have taken.
I will just look forward to kick off and intend to enjoy us being back amongst the elite…even if is just for a season.
I do hope that something has been set aside for improving the stadium and training facilities to help preserve the future though.

I think when Scott Parker took Fulham up via the play-offs into the Premier League he didn’t get the backing player wise he wanted to keep Fulham up.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Old Cherry, post: 647475, member: 7270"
That's what scouting was/is for....
.... FOR F√CK'S SAKE
]
You're the one that said that there is plenty of talent in Scotland!! Why not let our scouts know their names?[/QUOTE]

How am I supposed to know any f√cking names.. I'm not up there....I just know that Scots are naturally good footballers !
All the best teams a had a Scot or two in the side..when the game was sane !
There is no reason we can't get back to that,.

You're the one that said that there is plenty of talent in Scotland!! Why not let our scouts know their names?

How am I supposed to know any f√cking names.. I'm not up there....I just know that Scots are naturally good footballers !
All the best teams a had a Scot or two in the side..when the game was sane !
There is no reason we can't get back to that,.[/QUOTE]
A young lad called Ryan Fraser??

If Mepham’s off on loan (other thread) there must surely be major CB acquisitions in the pipeline. Sooner rather than later, please (only 10 days, in effect, until final prep for Villa).

I think when Scott Parker took Fulham up via the play-offs into the Premier League he didn’t get the backing player wise he wanted to keep Fulham up.

Yes. He may be concerned about history repeating itself. But, other teams are struggling to recruit as well. Isn't just us.

If Mepham’s off on loan (other thread) there must surely be major CB acquisitions in the pipeline. Sooner rather than later, please (only 10 days, in effect, until final prep for Villa).

That would seem logical. I'd like us to keep Meps, but it's not worked out for him in terms of injuries, managers trusting him and fans trusting him. It wouldn't matter if he were faultless for the next season. He would make a silly mistake the season after (as all defenders do) and people would be Meps bashing him all over again. Some will never forgive him for Brentford 2021 and will never see past that. That penalty on Saturday was a 50-50 barge and that's all it took for people to write him off despite playing well in the match before, being injured and hardly putting a foot wrong for us the season before. He needs a clean slate, so he's given the space and opportunity to become the star defender that he's capable of being.

I'm thinking this.. if we goes back down this time ..it'll be straight through and the only yo - yo- ing will be between L1 and L2...then the ground size becomes adequate.
This is our last and only big chance of evolving out of Tinpot...whereupon a new, bigger ground will have to happen for the following seasons.

;