Andoni Iraola

This is the most exciting season we've had in many a year and look at the absolute state of the whinging on here and elsewhere. Honestly half our support deserve failure. Absolute dross support.
You can debate a squad strength and look forward to a season. They’re not mutually exclusive. I’ve enjoyed every season immensely even the crap ones. The beer, the crack with mates, the away trips, there’s always great games and goals in the worst of seasons. It’s why we go isn’t it? The worlds best players in front of us now as well as opposed to years gone by.

This is a debating forum. It bears no resemblance I’d imagine to what any of us are like in a stadium….

Usual OTT response. As a fan base in the stadium we tend to get behind managers longer than other more demanding fan bases that was my point.
is it because generally we have a connection with the manager before he starts, obviously Parker and woodgate we didn't but they were winning games but with iraola if he is winless in first 10 would be be as forgiving as we as fans have no ties to him?

You can debate a squad strength and look forward to a season. They’re not mutually exclusive. I’ve enjoyed every season immensely even the crap ones. The beer, the crack with mates, the away trips, there’s always great games and goals in the worst of seasons. It’s why we go isn’t it? The worlds best players in front of us now as well as opposed to years gone by.

This is a debating forum. It bears no resemblance I’d imagine to what any of us are like in a stadium….

The crack? That explains some posts. ;)

Just been reading yesterday’s article in the Athletic re our new manager.

Found this bit interesting.

It may just be coincidence that Monday then saw Bournemouth decide to fire O’Neil and hire Iraola. Quite incredibly, the Premier League now has four coaches from the small Basque province of Guipuzcoa: Iraola, Emery, Julen Lopetegui and Mikel Arteta. Even more amazingly, Iraola first met Arteta when they both played for San Sebastian-based youth side Antiguoko in the late 1990s, so their Premier League meeting when Bournemouth face Arsenalin September should be special for both men.

Iraola is maybe the most low-profile of this bunch. In public he is still quietly spoken, respectful and even sometimes wary of the spotlight. How his methodical approach transfers to the pressure-cooker Premier League, and how he does against his Basque peers in such distinguished surroundings, is going to be fascinating to watch.
And equally amazing that GON lost his job to one of them and it looks like he will now be replacing one of the others! All in the space of a few months.

Last edited:
Athletic tactical review of the season (we had the shortest section!) had the "experts" saying that Dango is the most Andoni player we have and will be our biggest player.

(Maybe they forgot Adam Smith is still playing?)

Athletic tactical review of the season (we had the shortest section!) had the "experts" saying that Dango is the most Andoni player we have and will be our biggest player.

I don’t think he will start but let’s see! Think he will opt for Kluivert and Brooks…

I thought billing was out biggest player

We’re generally a very forgiving and accepting fanbase i always think.

Probably compared to the entitled bigger stature clubs (most in top 2 tiers...) but that doesn;t excuse some sh1t behviour from sections of fanbase ie booing Parker during run in (when 2nd in league...), getting on a recently returned from long layoff Kelly's back on several occasions last season.

Probably compared to the entitled bigger stature clubs (most in top 2 tiers...) but that doesn;t excuse some sh1t behviour from sections of fanbase ie booing Parker during run in (when 2nd in league...), getting on a recently returned from long layoff Kelly's back on several occasions last season.
Agree with targeting individual players which is awful.

Occasionally when a team isn’t putting it in though or the manager is playing dull football it doesn’t hurt to let them know in my opinion. But I can count on one hand in 40 years the times I’ve done it.

At some clubs they moan if not 1-0 up after 20mins and often sing for managers to get sacked. Other than a couple of people at Brentford and the end of Paul Groves and Quinn I can’t remember managers being targetted here can you? Hence my point we are fairly forgiving

Agree with targeting individual players which is awful.

Occasionally when a team isn’t putting it in though or the manager is playing dull football it doesn’t hurt to let them know in my opinion. But I can count on one hand in 40 years the times I’ve done it.

At some clubs they moan if not 1-0 up after 20mins and often sing for managers to get sacked. Other than a couple of people at Brentford and the end of Paul Groves and Quinn I can’t remember managers being targetted here can you? Hence my point we are fairly forgiving

I can't recall others either. I was going in Pulis era, but was young so can;t recall if he received any negativity? He was hardly popular was he, due to style he looked to deploy and not getting particularly good results (albeit it was a tough job, after relegation, financial issues and the squad being dismantled).

I can't recall others either. I was going in Pulis era, but was young so can;t recall if he received any negativity? He was hardly popular was he, due to style he looked to deploy and not getting particularly good results (albeit it was a tough job, after relegation, financial issues and the squad being dismantled).
He had songs to leave but again late on in his second season, other clubs would have gone way earlier

;