David Brooks

Hopefully not covid. Maybe coincidence but the timescale is consistent with picking it up at Middlesborough
With his past with glandular fever and general knocks etc, if there was one player who you'd think might be susceptible to a symptomatic level of covid, it'd be Brooks. Fingers crossed for him though!

I worry about Brooksie. Tremendous talent but I wonder if he is just one of those "snake-bit" players that will always have trouble staying in the line up for a variety of reasons. I would swear that I saw him reaching for his ankle against City. Will his value stay up in the 30-40 million range for long?

(probably OTT on my part, but I can't help thinking it ..........)

For some reason I genuinely hope they fail abysmally this season...

I think some of your hope is possibly based on Wonderful Wilder. The accolades he got last season were so similar to Eddie's the season plus before. Should be managing England, Arsenal, Spurs, must be given a top six job blah, blah, blah. They had a great season but they seem to have only one game plan (sound familiar?) and are now being found out.

I too would love see them struggle, would be a giggle! :grinning:

I think some of your hope is possibly based on Wonderful Wilder. The accolades he got last season were so similar to Eddie's the season plus before. Should be managing England, Arsenal, Spurs, must be given a top six job blah, blah, blah. They had a great season but they seem to have only one game plan (sound familiar?) and are now being found out.

I too would love see them struggle, would be a giggle! :grinning:

Indeed. Although we played much more entertaining football.

I think they're going down this year.

I think it's actually being a bit harsh on us to compare us with Sheff Utd... Ok, so they've had a blinder of a season last year and outdid anyone's expectations, but their finish was poor and their start now has been poor. We went 3.5 seasons against some of Europe's elite before we became poor and began to be the bookies faves for the drop...

Whether that is the closed-doors thing or not, who knows, but they don't play attractive football and Wilder seems hell bent on unsettling and raiding our talent with Ramsdale gone and talk of loving to see Rico and Brooks up there...

There is just something smug about them.. maybe the same smugness that other teams saw in Eddie, I dunno... I just don't wish them to do well and I wouldn't be arsed one bit if they were relegated along with Leeds (although I can't see that happening)...

I think it's actually been harsh on us to compare us with Sheff Utd... Ok, so they've had a blinder of a season last year and outdid anyone's expectations, but their finish was poor and their start now has been poor. We went 3 .5 seasons against some of Europe's elite before we became poor and began to be the bookies faves for the drop...

Whether that is the closed-doors thing or not, who knows, but they don't play attractive football and Wilder seems hell bent on unsettling and raiding our talent with Ramsdale gone and talk of loving to see Rico and Brooks up there...

There is just something smug about them.. maybe the same smugness that other teams saw in Eddie, I dunno... I just don't wish them to do well and I wouldn't be arsed one bit if they were relegated along with Leeds (although I can't see that happening)...

Not sure if their manager has said anything re Rico or just press speculation.

But if he has then he is out of order.

I think it's actually being a bit harsh on us to compare us with Sheff Utd... Ok, so they've had a blinder of a season last year and outdid anyone's expectations, but their finish was poor and their start now has been poor. We went 3.5 seasons against some of Europe's elite before we became poor and began to be the bookies faves for the drop...

Whether that is the closed-doors thing or not, who knows, but they don't play attractive football

This in bucketloads. If anything, I think the criticism of us being too open and being the thing we needed to improve on led to us over compensating. Other factors of course contributed to our decline, but our “plucky” swashbuckling style became something very different.

Sheffield United on the other hand have to evolve in a very different way, they conceded 39 goals last season (4th best in the league), scored 39 (tied 4th worst) - change in goalkeeper is well documented and will the team be as defensively motivated in their second season? I’d happily put money on them conceding more this time around - then at the other end how far and quickly can they change their personnel and style to have more success? I think they will come up well short.

How does he fit into this side? Three in the middle with the two up top has to be the way forward, the side has looked far more balanced in the last two games playing this way. I don’t think that he’s defensively minded enough to play a pressing role in the midfield three? Maybe he can play the ‘roaming forward’ role that Danjuma filled against Norwich.... but then where do you play Danjuma!?

One of the front 3 on the opposite flank to Danjuma. In a midfield 3 you could also play him centrally in a free role. Agree you wouldn’t get the same level of pressing but not all matches will be suitable for the tactics we used yesterday.

It’s weird though. We are all saying we need more reinforcements in the forward areas yet we are wondering how to find a place for Brooks. Then we have Riquelme and Stanislas to add to the mix too.

We certainly have a variety of options and formations we can employ depending on the opponent and that’s a good thing.

;