European Super League

Well well, Gary Neville, you've just gone up a couple of notches in my estimation,
never thought I'd be saying that.
I for one would not contribute to Sky/ BT or any new pay to view channel. this would be the way to stop this load of crap. Well done Gary Neville tell it like it is.

Personally I feel this would massively affect our game. The English game is full of history and traditions. Expelling the so called 'Big 6' would start the decline of the game as we know it.

Hopefully with the uproar, this is the time where working class football fans can get our game back.

Personally I feel this would massively affect our game. The English game is full of history and traditions. Expelling the so called 'Big 6' would start the decline of the game as we know it.

Hopefully with the uproar, this is the time where working class football fans can get our game back.

100%. Not only the traditions but every club in the country will take a financial hit as less filters down the leagues. The pay gap between the two will end up extortionate, bigger than the likes we see today between divisions.

It's a fine line now, do you let them do it and along with UEFA and other FA's basically demand a 50% tax or something, or just banish them and risk them being successful?

One other thing I find interesting, they say it will start in August... That means they must already have a distribution method for TV rights or perhaps just a global streaming service via Amazon, DAZN etc. that cuts out the likes of Sky, BT. Yet another subscription package for fans wanting to watch.

Arsenal and Spurs will love being bottom each season won’t they .

Probably soon try to come running back when they find fans walk away but then it’s not for the match going support is it ?

All to get the eye of the armchair support across the world only interested in the “best” who will pay anything to watch.

Reactions: drd

Probably soon try to come running back when they find fans walk away but then it’s not for the match going support is it ?

All to get the eye of the armchair support across the world only interested in the “best” who will pay anything to watch.

Thing is, it would probably be cheaper for your average international armchair fan to only buy the one subscription and not worry about any other leagues. Ultimately the domestic leagues will essentially be reserve/B teams anyway with finishing position simply not mattering. I don't see any value of keeping them in the domestic leagues if it goes ahead.

So 5 additional clubs can qualify every season dependant on achievements in their own league....but no one can get relegated? How does that work

It's a breakaway league so there won't be a top 6 in the EPL and 4 new available Champions League spots.

I would expect the format would be all the teams play eachother 3 times, home, away and neutral making a total of 33 games with room for another couple of teams to get closer to 40.

I think it will just feel like an exhbitiion for a lot of fans of those clubs and also they will need to get used to much lower win percentages than they're used to. Also with only one prize, the league top spot, there's not a lot to play for. The last 2 or 3 weeks could be meaningless for 10 clubs as they can't win it and there's no threat of relegation.

Also the competitiveness of the league will actually make the participating teams look pretty average and without the ability to compete with clubs outside their bubble there'll be lots of chatter about whether these clubs are the still the elite.

Also just read they are all midweek games so they can continue in their domestic leagues, I originally assumed they would leave for good

They have always wanted to stay in their domestic leagues, they want all the money basically.

Its the current footballing government bodies using the threat of banning them from domestic competition to prevent this from happening...which looks to have failed so now it’s all down to who was calling whose bluff.

It's a breakaway league so there won't be a top 6 in the EPL and 4 new available Champions League spots.

I would expect the format would be all the teams play eachother 3 times, home, away and neutral making a total of 33 games with room for another couple of teams to get closer to 40.

I think it will just feel like an exhbitiion for a lot of fans of those clubs and also they will need to get used to much lower win percentages than they're used to. Also with only one prize, the league top spot, there's not a lot to play for. The last 2 or 3 weeks could be meaningless for 10 clubs as they can't win it and there's no threat of relegation.

Also the competitiveness of the league will actually make the participating teams look pretty average and without the ability to compete with clubs outside their bubble there'll be lots of chatter about whether these clubs are the still the elite.

Its two groups of 10, play each other twice, then 4 from each group go through to a knockout stage. Which is two legs before a final.

Its two groups of 10, play each other twice, then 4 from each group go through to a knockout stage. Which is two legs before a final.

Totally and consistently supports the claim that the top clubs play far too many matches. Well done for forming the England-Spain-Italy Super League to solve this tricky issue.

Kick them out of all competitions now.

If clubs then say they are pulling out of the super league put them way down the pyramid.

Put maximum wage in PL and EFL. An end to the absurd money that players get.

Fans boycott channels and broadcasters showing the super league games.

Boycott companies advertising on those channels.

The PL TV money bubble was always going to burst, maybe now is the time to focus on clubs becoming sustainable.

This was always coming.

#stuffyoursuperleague

I can't imagine who outside of Italy would want to watch Juventus play Inter. It may not be the crock of gold that these "giants of football" imagine.

Totally and consistently supports the claim that the top clubs play far too many matches. Well done for forming the England-Spain-Italy Super League to solve this tricky issue.

The A team will be playing less matches. PL team will become reserve/B team like in Spain, essentially division 2 to these clubs. That's why I simply don't see any value in keeping them in the domestic leagues as well.

What a statement it would be if the FA stand firm and “the big 6” are not included in the domestic league next season - those clubs will then face the wrath of their own domestic fanbase (although the overseas supporters may be more interested in the European league and the tv money may be enough to sustain the project).....would be fascinating to see which way some of the players would turn as well. Most players will probably follow the cash cow initially but I wonder how quickly that will change when the reality of playing what are exhibition league games in front of truly prawn sandwich brigade fans sets in. I would love to watch this whole thing launch, crash and burn.

Our domestic game has lost its shine for some years, this could be a wonderful catalyst for hitting the reset button and I don’t hold any fear that we would be worse off without them. Fans of all those “other” big clubs (Villa, Leeds, Everton etc) will have a realistic chance of the top prize again, fans of clubs like ours have the glass ceiling removed and gone will be the numerous games a season where teams set out to avoid a pasting at the hands of the big boys.

Unfortunately I bet things will start the same again in August with this super league deferred for a season whilst all the legals are sorted out in time for the 2022/23 season to see man Utd reserves retain their place in the premier league.

;