Gary O'Neil

Key issue - has GON learned from his selection and subbing errors that cost us needless defeats some weeks back. If so - welcome to the permanent position. But don't revert to the conservative selection and tactics that were so plainly wrong. I guess we'll know soon enough ...
almost certainly he will make some more selection and subbing errors as he is still learning the ropes but that is only part of the job, just as important is what he does on training pitch and match preperation, man management, motivation, tactical analysis etc. he needs to be judged on all these areas not just what we see on the pitch. GOOD LUCK GARY

Why do people always say the choice is between GON or a big name on a massive salary. To me this was never the choice (I know the board went for Bielsa but don’t agree with this either). To me the choice was between GON or a decent up and coming manager at a modest club either in the UK or Europe, one that wasn’t learning on the job which we all agree GON is.

Last time we went down we had a PL squad to come back with. This time we will lose Lerma and I’d imagine Solanke. The time for a proven manager was now.

Anyway, if it’s GON we’ve just got to get behind him and hope he has enough. The 18 month contract and the long pursuit of someone else to the point of final deal tells you what the board really think.
the 18 month contract tells us he has a limited amount of time to prove himself but the board thinks he has potential. if it goes wrong then it is not a massive payoff.
i think we would have been shocked if it was any longer than 18 months

Tindall signed a new 3 year deal when he was named manager. This of course would have been made on the back of relegation.

Howe’s contract expired in 2021, so he could well have just sat on his deal until it expired.

It’s likely that Purches, Weatherstone, Moss, Hard’s contracts could have expired at the same time so there may well have been no pay off required.
purchy and weathers had contracts.purchy was assistant to JT

Tindall is difference between his assistant and manager wage plus also the fact we had to pay an assistant Graham Jones to replace him as an assistant.

Ultimately he was also a lot cheaper than Eddie (I’d imagine @Istabraq will know more) so you can throw that in as well but it’s a bit of a false economy if you are not as good. Woodgate was also another cheaper option than both but again I think subjectively a better man than JW might have got that squad up. It should have gone up.
JT was assistant at sheff utd until the end of the season after leaving Bournemouth

JT was assistant at sheff utd until the end of the season after leaving Bournemouth

And tbf, appointing O'Neil fills me with more confidence than when JT and Woodgate were promoted...

O'Neil strikes me as pretty sharp, yes he's made mistakes, but something about him gives me confidence that he'll learn from them and adapt (unlike JT and probably Woodgate ). Hope it works out well for all of us.

Have you heard rumours to that effect? There appears to be absolutely no proof that anyone else was considered just that everyone presumes or expects that was the case because it's hard to believe it wasn't. But given Tindall and Woodgate it's just as likely that no one else was considered at all.
I'm surprised Neil's snout doesn't know

Which other options? As far as I'm aware Bielsa is the only other person who was considered. It's like saying we need a new CB so we've talked to Virgil Van Dyk but decided to take Jack Stephens on loan.
And you know we only looked at one other option? “As far as I know” isn’t a comprehensive data source. How many managers with a job want it to be leaked they have looked at another club mid season ?

Last edited:
And you know we only looked at one other option? “As far as I know” isn’t a great data source
True but it's pretty much what you're saying. Obviously neither of us know either way but we do know that no one has claimed to have heard of anyone else that the club has approached.

;