Jonathan Woodgate

Do you want Woodgate in charge first game of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 104 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The debate over his tactics in the final three games now looms large. You can only measure the decision, especially against Wycombe, against the outcome. A win today and we can argue that he made the right call to rest players and not be concerned about the opponent in the semi-final.

But today's loss now puts forward the argument that he should have kept the momentum going, or at least got us into 4th where we would have had the second leg at home. Hindsight, I know, but how else do you measure any decision in sports where the outcome is binary .... win or lose, no other variables.

I'd have him back unless we see someone who clearly is an upgrade. We will lose a number of players over the summer, but will also have some money to spend to shore up the team. Cannot fear SUFC, WBA or Fulham, so with a bit of luck, a few new faces and some good tactics, why couldn't we contend for a playoff spot next season?

Final account ..... a hesitant "yes".

I’m really torn.

It wouldn’t really be ‘sacking’ him since I’m sure his contract is up anyway.

I think he would be an OKAY appointment but I hope the board have spent the last 2 months at least looking elsewhere and seeing whose available.

Those last 3 games though have left a sour taste and some of the subs have been baffling

Stupid reason for a poll. We lost one match against a good side... had it not been a play-off nothing would have happened.

He has done far better than Tindall so he fully deserves our support. No reason to sack him whatsoever

The debate over his tactics in the final three games now looms large. You can only measure the decision, especially against Wycombe, against the outcome. A win today and we can argue that he made the right call to rest players and not be concerned about the opponent in the semi-final.

But today's loss now puts forward the argument that he should have kept the momentum going, or at least got us into 4th where we would have had the second leg at home. Hindsight, I know, but how else do you measure any decision in sports where the outcome is binary .... win or lose, no other variables.

I'd have him back unless we see someone who clearly is an upgrade. We will lose a number of players over the summer, but will also have some money to spend to shore up the team. Cannot fear SUFC, WBA or Fulham, so with a bit of luck, a few new faces and some good tactics, why couldn't we contend for a playoff spot next season?

Final account ..... a hesitant "yes".

Today was going well until Mepham cocked up. I still don't know if he got a shout or not, you'd hope the other players were screaming at him to get rid but I'm not sure they were.

I'd say yes, but we were 6th when he took over and we finished 6th. Apart from the 7 match winning run, we have been largely disappointing this season. I think the team was fractured under Tindall at the end, but Woodgate at least got the team playing as one but still very inconsistent.

The one thing concerns me, if Woodgate doesn't continue, will Blake & Co make such a mess up of finding a successor as they did when Tindall was sacked?

I'd say yes, but we were 6th when he took over and we finished 6th. Apart from the 7 match winning run, we have been largely disappointing this season. I think the team was fractured under Tindall at the end, but Woodgate at least got the team playing as one but still very inconsistent.

The one thing concerns me, if Woodgate doesn't continue, will Blake & Co make such a mess up of finding a successor as they did when Tindall was sacked?

Woodgate has done brilliantly. Take into consideration his circumstances, he inherited a broken team, low on motivation and hadn't been part of the team for a week. He's done an excellent job. We would have been down and out with Tindall.

He definitely made progress, we seem to have more of an identity, consistency in team selection and team spirit definitely on the up.

Also occurred to me that Fulham, Sheffield United and WBA are weaker than Norwich and Watford this season, so if we can keep some key players and re-invest wisely to replace and cover up some of the other limitations following the inevitable outgoing of 2/3 there is definitely hope.

I think it would be a mistake to rip up that progress and start again

Woodgate did very well to get us up into the play off positions but we definitely eased off before nailing down 4th or 5th place. That came back to bite us. I think we'd have had the measure of Swansea over 2 legs.
Having heard that handball above shoulder height in the area is actually a penalty I don't have any argument against the one given against us. I do feel we were denied a penalty up the other end with the score at 1-1. Also we were clearly struggling in the second half and barely got out of our own half until Long came on much too late.

Right now, call it emotional but got to go.

That was an embarrassing performance of individuals.

Yes we’ve got an identity under Woodgate and it ain’t pretty is it?! And he’s totally found out against the better opposition.

Even managed to turn a seven game winning run into a blundering three game defeat when the play-offs is all about momentum.

Sure his influence along with O’Neil and Jordan has added the nastier, fighting side into the squad at times but the pendulum has swung too far in that direction for my liking.

Isn’t all this talk of the sack a bit disingenuous? If my memory serves me right he was only appointed on a caretaker basis until the end of the season. They might choose to appoint him on a permanent basis but I’ll be sorry if they do. We need a clear out and a regroup now. Get rid of the wastrels who got Eddie the sack, start with a mixture of old heads and youngsters next year with a new man or woman at the helm without Woodgate's baggage. Get back playing the Bournemouth way, fill the ground and get all those kids who’ve invested in Cherries shirts back in the stadium and make some noise for the boys.

Stupid reason for a poll. We lost one match against a good side... had it not been a play-off nothing would have happened.

He has done far better than Tindall so he fully deserves our support. No reason to sack him whatsoever

Hang on, where did I say it was based on today’s match? It was asking if people want him Incharge for the first game of next season....

I’m sure we could do worse than Woodgate but let’s not forget that 6 months ago he just wanted to be a first team coach. This experience might have completely put him off!

My major concern would be if we are doing a total rebuild job, 50 mill in the pot. New identity and playing style. Does he have enough experience? He did well motivating a talented bunch who struggle with focus and consistent performances, could he mould and coach the best out of a bunch of newbies to push for promotion?
Not to say he couldn’t be the man but the CV is a bit thin.

;