Marcus Tavernier

Mousset was instrumental his first season in scoring 6 PL goals, tearing some teams (inc Man U) apart and therefore a main reason they got another 120m tv money. Solanke cost twice as much, scored 3 goals and his team got relegated (three years later he got his team promoted and access to that 120m in the interests of fairness)

I think you are being very selective in what you choose to pick. Moussets laziness and attitude took over and his career has gone South metaphorically and literally but overall what he helped achieve in his first season means he justified his fee.

Similarly everyone laughed at Villa for what they paid for Mings and tried picking holes at him as he played for England. Sad really. We’d like him now wouldn’t we!

It's crazy how you still try to frame Mousset as a good signing. He was a main reason they stayed up? That's a crazy suggestion. As DJ says, he had a purple patch at the start, won them a handful of points in a season they comfortably stayed up. He was never fit and always had a shocking attitude - even you point this out, and they paid millions for these attributes. The fee we got for him was an absolute masterstroke from Eddie's dog or whoever it was who was responsible.

I wouldn't take Mings now for what we got for him, he was not worth that at the time and still isn't.

It's crazy how you still try to frame Mousset as a good signing. He was a main reason they stayed up? That's a crazy suggestion. As DJ says, he had a purple patch at the start, won them a handful of points in a season they comfortably stayed up. He was never fit and always had a shocking attitude - even you point this out, and they paid millions for these attributes. The fee we got for him was an absolute masterstroke from Eddie's dog or whoever it was who was responsible.

I wouldn't take Mings now for what we got for him, he was not worth that at the time and still isn't.
There’s been a lot of strikers signed for a lot more than Mousset that haven’t contributed 6 goals and 4 assists in a season. We should know. We paid double for a lot less for example. None of us are disputing what happened after that. You seriously wouldn’t have Mings back for 20 odd million? Blimey! All about opinions I suppose…

There’s been a lot of strikers signed for a lot more than Mousset that haven’t contributed 6 goals and 4 assists in a season. We should know. We paid double for a lot less for example. None of us are disputing what happened after that. You seriously wouldn’t have Mings back for 20 odd million? Blimey! All about opinions I suppose…

Boy. You guys sure do like trying to win arguments about anything. This is Mousset and Grabban...

I think you'd struggle to find a worse buy than Mousset. You put an awful lot of emphasis on that very small purple patch he had, before and after that he was rubbish, and we're not talking 15+ goals here are we? 106 games in English football, 11 goals. You know it's bad when Steve Fletcher's goals-per-game ratio puts you in the shade.

He also had the chance to do a Solanke and prove himself at a lower level, he failed miserably and got released. Think about that, he got released because he was a terrible signing, like Jordon Ibe.

I think you'd struggle to find a worse buy than Mousset. You put an awful lot of emphasis on that very small purple patch he had, before and after that he was rubbish, and we're not talking 15+ goals here are we? 106 games in English football, 11 goals. You know it's bad when Steve Fletcher's goals-per-game ratio puts you in the shade.

He also had the chance to do a Solanke and prove himself at a lower level, he failed miserably and got released. Think about that, he got released because he was a terrible signing, like Jordon Ibe.
Mousset is an incredibly talented player with a terrible mentality. Having said that, he did play an important role in Sheffield United staying up in their first season, not just his goals but his all round game was certainly an asset to them. Similarly to Afobe for us, although he didn’t score bucket loads, the contributions he did make were vital in their survival. That alone made him a good signing for them you could argue, similar to Afobe for us.

Mousset is an incredibly talented player with a terrible mentality. Having said that, he did play an important role in Sheffield United staying up in their first season, not just his goals but his all round game was certainly an asset to them. Similarly to Afobe for us, although he didn’t score bucket loads, the contributions he did make were vital in their survival. That alone made him a good signing for them you could argue, similar to Afobe for us.
Good unbiased view.

Maybe this isn’t the right thread to be talking about him, but as there a few posts, below is the Sheffield United view of Lys Mousset, last three paras.

It’s well known that Moose hasn’t completed 90 minutes in English football. Ultimately, that is on him. And he has to change something to fix that. He certainly has the talent. We’ve seen it in flashes more than once. However, the old adage of ‘hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard’ rings true of Mousset.

His departing Instagram post was a microcosm of what some might deem as all is wrong with the modern footballer at times. A player who has achieved little in 18 months, jetting off to Italy on a private plane like a rock-star. Certainly, it seemed a fitting end for Lys Mousset at Sheffield United.

Of course, we wish him well and on the whole, don’t buy into the ‘waste of money’ comments. However, things should have gone so much better for Lys. And that is where fans have every right to be hugely frustrated.

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/op...ted-didnt-waste-10m-but-what-might-have-been/

It’s not easy for a young player to score in the PL. He got double what Solanke did and four times more assists in less games for half the money.

Some people just find it hard to see anything wrong in what we do, I get that, you are a fan. Sometimes I find it helps to look at things objectively rather than subjectively.

We are in agreement his attitude finally defeated his talent sadly. There was a reason the French FA put Thierry Henry into his life as a mentor though and it was because they knew what he could be if he could get his mind straight.

It’s not easy for a young player to score in the PL. He got double what Solanke did and four times more assists in less games for half the money.

Some people just find it hard to see anything wrong in what we do, I get that, you are a fan. Sometimes I find it helps to look at things objectively rather than subjectively.

We are in agreement his attitude finally defeated his talent sadly. There was a reason the French FA put Thierry Henry into his life as a mentor though and it was because they knew what he could be if he could get his mind straight.
Controversial opinion maybe, but Mousset is a more naturally talented player than Solanke. I really feel as though he had the ability to be something special. Unfortunately in the modern game talent alone isn’t enough unless you have that drive and desire to work to be the best that you can be, just ask Ravel Morrison. Maybe players like Mousset and Morrison could have thrived in the early PL era but not in the modern one.

Controversial opinion maybe, but Mousset is a more naturally talented player than Solanke. I really feel as though he had the ability to be something special. Unfortunately in the modern game talent alone isn’t enough unless you have that drive and desire to work to be the best that you can be, just ask Ravel Morrison. Maybe players like Mousset and Morrison could have thrived in the early PL era but not in the modern one.
Not controversial. Mousset scored some goals Solanke couldn’t even have dreamed of. That said Solanke is ten times the player in terms of work rate and attitude. If you have all three you are Harry Kane.

Jordan Ibe as well. One of the best wingers I’ve seen play against us (aside from the obvious Pl superstars). Tore Franno apart as Franno admits himself. Again though, sadly lacking in other departments.

Not controversial. Mousset scored some goals Solanke couldn’t even have dreamed of. That said Solanke is ten times the player in terms of work rate and attitude. If you have all three you are Harry Kane.

Jordan Ibe as well. One of the best wingers I’ve seen play against us (aside from the obvious Pl superstars). Tore Franno apart as Franno admits himself. Again though, sadly lacking in other departments.
Was that when he played for Derby? I wasn’t at that game so I have never actually seen Ibe play well to back up the claim that he had natural talent lol

Yes I compared him to Afobe above and I think Afobe was a limited yet very effective player and was one who we sold for what we paid for him. Mousset is their Jordon Ibe.

Yes I compared him to Afobe above and I think Afobe was a limited yet very effective player and was one who we sold for what we paid for him. Mousset is their Jordon Ibe.
I managed to watch a few of their games during their first season as I was interested to see how Wilder got such a poor squad performing so well. Mousset played well for them during that first season, was a real handful and helped them to win many important points. Not sure you can say the same about Ibe really. He may have only been impactful for a limited period but at least he was impactful to some extent. Ibe just spent his four years here dribbling into blind alleys and losing the ball, genuinely never even saw the potential with him.

Was that when he played for Derby? I wasn’t at that game so I have never actually seen Ibe play well to back up the claim that he had natural talent lol

I remember trekking up there for a Tuesday night game and we got beat 2-0. Ibe was brilliant and tbf he had a few games for us when he was really good too. Only a handful regrettably, which is why he was such a bad signing. A lot like Lys Mousset was for Sheffield United.

I remember trekking up there for a Tuesday night game and we got beat 2-0. Ibe was brilliant and tbf he had a few games for us when he was really good too. Only a handful regrettably, which is why he was such a bad signing. A lot like Lys Mousset was for Sheffield United.
Lys Mousset was cheaper than Ibe and scored 6 x as many goals… objectivity Del, objectivity.

Even though we won he murdered him for Birmingham at their place the season before the 8-0 as well. Will miss going to St Andrews this season!

;