Non - Brexit

https://www.politico.eu/article/bre...ls-blew-brexit/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

If you look past the needlessly provocative headline this article is quite an interesting take on the mistakes that have been made by both sides of these negotiations.

Demanding commitments up front on the Irish border question, before even deciding on how future trade agreements would affect the border seemed nonsensical - as it has proved. Varadkar overplaying his hand and May underplaying hers has led to stalemate that all parties could do without.

May has already adopted many Labour party policies, why would Corbyn be any more or less business friendly ?
Well he certainly won't be more business friendly, and I would venture to suggest that the shadow chancellor would put the fear of god into most business 's judging by what he has proposed at various times over the years.

the EU gravy train left Paris in 1951.

Did the EU exist in 1951 ?

The French don't do gravy but they do have a rail network.

Well he certainly won't be more business friendly, and I would venture to suggest that the shadow chancellor would put the fear of god into most business 's judging by what he has proposed at various times over the years.

The failed policy of austerity has been ditched by the current Conservative Government.
Is the Shadow Chancellor putting forward policy or expressing his personal opinion ?

The real chancellors have put the fear of god into the majority of people over recent years.

The failed policy of austerity has been ditched by the current Conservative Government.
Is the Shadow Chancellor putting forward policy or expressing his personal opinion ?

The real chancellors have put the fear of god into the majority of people over recent years.

We will have to wait and see won't we. Who knows what Labours policy would be................................

the EU gravy train left Paris in 1951.

Did the EU exist in 1951 ?

The French don't do gravy but they do have a rail network.

The Treaty of Paris, 1951, established the ECSC. The institutions of the ECSC form the backbone of the decision-making process embodied in the Treaty of Rome that started the Ec and subsequent treaties that transformed the ECSC, Euratom and the EC into the EU.

The ECSC was never meant to be democratic.
All power lay in the aptly named High Authority. This was simply carried on over the years to become the unelected and secretive, European Commission, the true government of Europe.

How many remainers truly understand the internal processes of the EU? Those that do, please justify the existence of a thoroughly undemocratic supranational organisation.

Those that don't know how the EU functions, please study the EU. Then you will find plenty of reasons to not have any part of it.

Many of us....who voted to leave, are people who initially saw it as a great idea...found it interesting...were excited, hopeful and positive, learnt languages , allowed our kids to go on school trips over the channel and let them stay with French families, took in students for a few weeks, worked over there on contracts... oh No, we were not always belligerent or similarly negative towards the EU.....but slowly but surely we had our dreams eroded by assy attitudes from the majority of French and Belgian Politicians and others( not so much the actual populace) and much petty bureacracy infiltrating our culture ....we just didnt fit did we?
Many of us were well 'genned' up on the EU procedural stuff because we followed it in the Press both here and there ...have been 'well read'.... And of course.... been alive for the last 50 plus years!

The uk has an unelected monarch and unelected house of lords as part of the law making process.
The majority of local councillors are elected by around 1 in 6 of those eligible to vote.
Are unelected lobbyists acceptable in parliamentary democracy ?

I think someone posted a link a while back to a Fintan O'Toole article in the Irish Times that described the reasons behind the English brexit vote as a yearning for an imperialist past among other pearls of wisdom. I think my critique of it was "utter b*llocks" but the Irish Times have printed a little more thoughtful response:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...wrong-1.3766746?mode=amp#.XEg3OwA20lI.twitter
I prefer your summary SDD. Accurate and to the point.

O'Toole is that ..a Tool.........a man not educated in the ways of the English therefore not qualified to judge...a good candidate for a smack in the gob! That's as far as I would go though..........I don't do the bombs in hotels and pubs.!

The uk has an unelected monarch and unelected house of lords as part of the law making process.
The majority of local councillors are elected by around 1 in 6 of those eligible to vote.
Are unelected lobbyists acceptable in parliamentary democracy ?

The monarch is not part of the law making process, but a rubber stamp of laws that are passed. A ceremonial position really.

The House of Lords is an anachronism.

If people choose not to vote in local elections that is democracy.

But, what have these issues to do with the democratic deficit in the EU? This organisation was designed from the outset NOT to allow true democratic accountability and, unlike the House of Lords which has undergone piecemeal reform since the early 20th century, the EU Treaties prevent any kind of betterment.

Do the remainders have any real idea of the nature of the beast that they are defending?

Meanwhile Rees Mogg moaning he might have to compromise because of Brexiteers wrecking the process.

Yet he wants something different to Farage who wants something different to Gove. Gove and Mogg voted different on May's deal.

It's not the remainders that are the problem. It's the leavers not agreeing on what leave means! If they did, we would be leaving with no issues in a few weeks.

;