Non: The Hundred

I’m going to have a look tonight but I don’t like the sound of much that I’ve heard. Most sport relies on a form of tribal association and while most of us can get behind Hampshire I have my doubts whether a franchise team can attract long term support. I wonder if this might become a VHS v Betamax type scenario with this and 20/20. People’s pockets are only so deep and 4 separate competitions surely cannot be sustained.

You are of course absolutely right and in a sense T20 has already made the One Day 40/50 over game a bit pointless as it is, so the100 game does tread on a lot of toes.

But ultimately this dumbed down version is to get the kids interested and that can only be a good thing?

ECB/Harrison vanity project. It’ll gain some interest with BBC all over it and saturation advertising catching attention - that’s absolutely fine but a fraction of the money and FTA TV thrown at the highly successful vitality blast would have been great and supported the counties directly - without the impact on the other fundamentally important forms of the game.

What it needs is like when I played in a game v The Grauniad at Milton Abbey school. On the midwicket and cover point boundaries was a small tent containing a barrel of beer and should the ball go near there then you ran in for a top up.
I suppose the next big thing will be televised French cricket.
Enjoy watching test cricket but don't give much for 20/20. don't think any thing about the hundred is going to entice me in.

Looking at the Hampshire side for the 50 over format today, seems that competition is on borrowed time.

Yeah, its a shame, I like the 50 over format. A full days play, plenty of twists and turns, time to build an innings, plenty of tactics rather than just bish, bash, bosh.

On the positive side, there are some bright young kids getting experience.

Have now watched some of both games to date. Not for my generation much prefer the old Sunday League format but appreciate where they are coming from and need to build for a different style and age range of spectator. However too much yap a lot not related to the game on the screen on the tv so reverted to pictures on tv and good old reliable 5live for the commentary albeit they were "very young" to me. Just glad I don't have to endure coverage on Sky.

Have now watched some of both games to date. Not for my generation much prefer the old Sunday League format but appreciate where they are coming from and need to build for a different style and age range of spectator. However too much yap a lot not related to the game on the screen on the tv so reverted to pictures on tv and good old reliable 5live for the commentary albeit they were "very young" to me. Just glad I don't have to endure coverage on Sky.

Probably have something about you supporting Wethers Originals or the Oval Incontinents : )

..certainly is a different game from the cricket I know and love...but it is entertainment and the one thing I like is the free to view meaning that it will extend to most sports fans...

We are just going to have to get used to either one run or a boundary type cricket..from what I have seen over the years players will adapt and I think that you will see more all rounders as opposed to batters and bowlers develop to adapt to the demands of the game. Fielding as well will become even more athletic and skilled...

Reactions: DJ
Another good game tonight. Was backing London due to Warne and Dimi being the coaches and a more interesting team compared to the Southern Brave... of course they lost once I’d decided that.

It's the same cricketers using the same cricket gear in a cricket ground, as the last blast to " improve the reach" of cricket, T20 ( I'm old enough to remember when it was called Twenty20, kids ask your older brothers/sisters ). It's not much different, they've added more RAZZZZ and upgraded the MAAATAAZZZZ, given the commentators extra Red bull and espresso coffee. The B.B.C. are trying to make it a Summertime Cricket Special Spectacular. If you like/don't like T20, you'll feel similar to the Hundred ( once the HYPE boil has burst) : )

As for the future of football, if the halfway line sideways shuffle takes hold, crowds will drop, marketing will get involved to protect owners "investments" and broadcasters "best interests", a "greater reach" will be needed.

So WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME, to the SOCCER 80. 4 quarters of 20 minutes, 5 minutes between quarters and 20 minutes at half time. This allows for half time " entertainment" maybe Ollie Murs singing Sweet Caroline. Each goal counts 2 points with a chance to earn a "penalty point", bring on your penalty taker to "shoot the ball" past the opponent's PenStopper, etc, etc, etc. Plenty of in match music, we'll all know when to look up from our mobile devices, to watch a " net moment" on the Jumbotron TV in each corner.
Everyone's a winner, the broadcasters get 80 mins of "soccahh" in a 3 hour show, hello corporate friends. The owners get a return on their investments and we are all made to feel privileged to pay twice the value of anything connected to the club : )

Meanwhile........
In Firkin Sheds up and down the land, middle aged men are clasping their body temperature real ales, reflecting on how "it all began to go wrong, when Whitbread started to serve Heineken in their pubs" : )

Last edited:
Another good game tonight. Was backing London due to Warne and Dimi being the coaches and a more interesting team compared to the Southern Brave... of course they lost once I’d decided that.
Therein lies the conundrum for me. Who to support ? Go local as we’re South and have 2 players in the game ? The Spirit with Warnie and Mason Crane ?
At the moment people seem to be getting quite passionate for ‘their’ team even though there are county rivals playing for them and the games have been exciting and played on beautiful balmy evenings.

Reactions: DJ
Therein lies the conundrum for me. Who to support ? Go local as we’re South and have 2 players in the game ? The Spirit with Warnie and Mason Crane ?
At the moment people seem to be getting quite passionate for ‘their’ team even though there are county rivals playing for them and the games have been exciting and played on beautiful balmy evenings.
Are there any ultras, or is it just sing a long to Neil Diamond?

southern Brave ffs. Give your heads a wobble.

;