Prince Phillip has died

I regularly watch terrestrial tv, I often watch BBC 4s music stuff on Friday nights, but I'm not particualerly interested in a forced national mournathon.

I have no problem with BBC1 cancelling everything for 48 hours or more and showing the same few hours of stuff on repeat for those that want it. Fine by me.

I still don't understand how putting banner headlines on CBeebies and mirroring BBC1 on 2 and 4 is not over the top.

It's funny when forruns do it but acceptable when we do? How does that work again???

There will still be someone important they have missed out speaking to in relation to Prince Phillip’s death !

Must admit it did seem a bit strange to have the same thing on both BBC One and Two but not the end of the world.

Would make more sense to have one channel showing the documentaries about him and his life which might be more interesting for people to watch.

Last edited:
I regularly watch terrestrial tv, I often watch BBC 4s music stuff on Friday nights, but I'm not particualerly interested in a forced national mournathon.

I have no problem with BBC1 cancelling everything for 48 hours or more and showing the same few hours of stuff on repeat for those that want it. Fine by me.

I still don't understand how putting banner headlines on CBeebies and mirroring BBC1 on 2 and 4 is not over the top.

It's funny when forruns do it but acceptable when we do? How does that work again???

Pretty much how I feel. 12 hours blanket coverage on 1 and 2 (plus ITV, of course) and cancelling programmes on 4 and iPlayer is just disgraceful imo. I don't give a sh#t that there are other channels, so fucking what? They weren't and aren't showing the programmes I wanted to watch so why would I watch them? Personally, I think it's a minority who actually care and the BBC have got this horribly wrong. But they seem determined to persist with it as there's even more "tribute" programmes today and listening to Radio6 this morning as just laughable, real third world dictator stuff.

TV schedule for today:
12pm - Homes Under the Philip
1pm - A Philip in the Sun
2pm - Come Dine With Philip
3pm - Escape to the Philip
4pm - Tiphiliping Point
5pm - Philip
6pm - Philip & Philip's Saturday Night Takeaway
9pm - Mrs Brown's Philips
11pm - Match of the Philip

That is actually very quite funny Stan...I always ask for more humour on the Forum..so that's a bonus through the gloom!

Your mate Phil would have chuckled !

TV schedule for today:
12pm - Homes Under the Philip
1pm - A Philip in the Sun
2pm - Come Dine With Philip
3pm - Escape to the Philip
4pm - Tiphiliping Point
5pm - Philip
6pm - Philip & Philip's Saturday Night Takeaway
9pm - Mrs Brown's Philips
11pm - Match of the Philip

you seem to have done a lot of research

And I wonder if those on here sticking up for it all would be so sanguine if he'd died when AFCB were in the play offs final and the BBC cancelled all coverage of it?

Ha ha ha. BBC showing play off final.
Only in an alternative universe. What sports do the Beeb cover live now except for the Boat Race and Wimbledon. The Olympics. I'm sure there are others but not much is there?
(Everyone will now list loads of sport that's live on the Beeb that I don't watch )

I kept away from the BBC yesterday other than to watch the first 15 mins or so of the 10pm news.
Surprised that both BBC 1 & 2 held coverage all afternoon and evening.
Plenty of other channels for me but also Youtube channels etc..
It's not the '70's any more.

Why are you getting so bothered Stan?

10 minutes into the radio after the announcement I turned it off. I will only turn it on again for Solent football. I ignored tv completely last night and turned over all the Royal pages in the paper this morning, and repeat Sunday, until I found something to read that interested me.It is only the same as the Royal weddings, Harry and Meghan I didn't watch them just move on.

The media are only doing their "job" you don't have to buy into it.

Why are you getting so bothered Stan?

10 minutes into the radio after the announcement I turned it off. I will only turn it on again for Solent football. I ignored tv completely last night and turned over all the Royal pages in the paper this morning, and repeat Sunday, until I found something to read that interested me.It is only the same as the Royal weddings, Harry and Meghan I didn't watch them just move on.

The media are only doing their "job" you don't have to buy into it.
Well I suggest you don't read my posts and move on.

So why make such a fuss of one old man dying, John? (and it hasn't even started yet!!
Well, G., I watched some of it yesterday and it seemed to be very emotional for many over there, from youngsters to elderly. He has been in the public eye for almost 80 years, so I imagine that it is newsworthy, and important to many. I am trying to think of similar situations where the media went "wall-to-wall" on news coverage, and JFK and Diana are the only ones that immediately come to mind. I will say that the coverage that I saw seemed measured, as opposed to the grief associated with JFK and Diana.

If the question however is why would the media do what it does, that's easy - greed. Advertising revenue and eyes on the screen.

The comments about terrestrial networks are interesting to me ..... never really thought of it that way.

May I suggest you ignore the TV coverage and move on.

For the forums sake :grinning:

no please carry on, provides some entertainment.

find it amusing, people making it sound like they're being forced to watch it, as if there's no alternative and bbc programs are some kind of necessity in life.

Last edited:

;