Sam Surridge

I first saw Sam play for the under 18's before he went out on loan to Poole Town and was impressed by his pace and movement. Young Jake Scrimshaw is a similar sort of number 9 to Sam so we are starting to produce quality youngsters from our recruitment.

Once we get our Category 1 or 2 Academy up and running we won't have to send these good lads out on loan as we will be playing competitive under 21 and 23 games on a weekly basis.

Some argue it’s better to play competitive league games for Oldham than the superficial u21 leagues. Toughens them up a bit. Different debate, however, if the under 21/23 side was a genuine reserve/ combination team.

Some argue it’s better to play competitive league games for Oldham than the superficial u21 leagues. Toughens them up a bit. Different debate, however, if the under 21/23 side was a genuine reserve/ combination team.

Those that show promise will always get sent to play men’s football, but a combination league against decent youth teams and academies has to be better for developing the rest than Hants Senior Cup and random games against lower league sides

...we are besotted with the new stadium haven't you heard the news!!

...anyway good to see Sam learning his trade and getting recognised for his efforts...who knows he could be the next Jayden Stockley?

You just, but how many AFCB players have played or scored in Europe as Jayden has?

Good news. He does seem to have a bit about him and the Oldham fans seem very impressed, many of the opinion he'll be on loan at a Championship club next season. Fingers crossed he carries on the development... maybe he'll fill the Defoe shaped hole in the squad when his contract expires.

Can we recall him in January and loan him out to a Championship club then? (assuming we can find one)
Or is it a season-long loan?

Season long although it's possible we included a break clause a la Ake. However, if he's doing well and getting regular game time I think we may leave him there for the year. Plenty of time to try a higher level.

I'm sure that if we offered some cash we could break the contract. Given the way he been flying out would make sense to try and get him gametime at the next level, but hindsight is always 20-20. Preston were keen at the start of the season, given we might be interested in their striker, maybe include a Surridge loan as part of a deal there

I know the Oldham fans thought he was top quality earlier in the season and thought he was undoubtedly better than L2 although he then picked up a series of niggles.

Funny thing was Preston were making noises at start of season, but I think they just picked up another ex Cherry striker, Jayden I guess

;