Thoughts on the match V Sheff Utd

Hanging on your s becoming a bit of a theme in home matches…..but we are doing it well!…I think it is the midfield we should shore up rather than defence though to help stop the feed to the oppo’s attack?

Not sure how people work out that Sheffield United were the better side. The best team won.
I had it as a pretty even game tbh.......most of our opponents fans seem to go home thinking they were the better team......don't think the are tbf its just probably due to how we try to see games out......you'll see lots of comments from Sheffield United fans for instance saying that they battered us for the last 20 minutes ....they won't realise that its got nothing to do with how good they are .....it's just what we do when we have a lead.....

Hanging on your s becoming a bit of a theme in home matches…..but we are doing it well!…I think it is the midfield we should shore up rather than defence though to help stop the feed to the oppo’s attack?
Think thats why Stacey came on but it didnt stop the crosses

Expected goals has us about 15th at the moment, so we're statistically over performing by quite some distance and over the season it will even out so providing we stay at a similar level we’ll slide some way down the table. Added to the fact Fulham got progressively more turgid under Parker as they got closer to Christmas and into early 2020, he’s not got Mitrović to bail him out of the hole he might find himself in.

I know you've taken a lot of heat for being negative with this but I think it's interesting. I've often thought results lag behind form (as in quality of performance)

Xg at 15th is still mostly likely about 1.5 so 1/2 goals a game on average. Stay tight at the back and you can win a league that way!

How does the xG stack up against actual goals? Of they're close enough then its not a marker of over performance.

Is there also an Xg against field on your table. A xG for/against ratio would be a better way to rank the league.

Edit: Found my own source https://footballxg.com/xg-league-tables/

I doubt anyone else will be nerdy enough to look but does look like we're over performing at the moment.

Last edited:
I thought the first half was a scrappy but relatively even affair with us probably shading it on quality and chances created.

Second half the tempo of the game seemed a lot better, again though I’d have it as being fairly even with Sheff Utd instead just ahead in terms of the play- which was rewarded with a goal. This obviously spurred us on and we took control again, grabbed the lead and then sat back and defended what we had.

For Utd fans to be thinking they were the “much better side” I think is utterly delusional. It was a good contest in torrid conditions; we let them have the ball for the final 20 minutes and we came away with the win. As we usually do nowadays. Frankly for a relegated side I thought they were quite poor, West Brom and Fulham have their faults but look much better, and I’ve already seen more from the likes of QPR, Blackburn, Coventry and even Luton to suggest that mid table might be where they belong this season.

A surprise for me personally cos I’ve been tipping them to climb back up the table and into the fight based on recent results and their squad on paper. Their only really bright spark was MGW and he’s a loanee.

I had it as a pretty even game tbh.......most of our opponents fans seem to go home thinking they were the better team......don't think the are tbf its just probably due to how we try to see games out......you'll see lots of comments from Sheffield United fans for instance saying that they battered us for the last 20 minutes ....they won't realise that its got nothing to do with how good they are .....it's just what we do when we have a lead.....

It's a fair point. They held onto their lead for six minutes and we held on to ours for half an hour. They weren't good enough to win and we were.

Would also throw in that it’s getting incredibly boring hearing from other fans like Sheff Utd how evil and naughty we are, with some of the challenges and dives being performed by their players today! Dubious penalty perhaps but could’ve easily seen red, their number 29 shoved Smith by the throat and escaped without so much as a booking. Pot kettle black.

Lol what a joke, 8 for mepham who came on for 5 minutes
Even more of a joke… Mepham gets a five minute 8 yet Parker gets a 6 because his tactics of sitting on a lead (bringing on an extra centre back) are going to catch up and bite us. The player he brought on was Mepham…:unsure:

Work that logic out! Waz can be the gift that keeps on giving…

All their fans are saying they played really well and were much the better side! While I think a draw might have been fair, for a team relegated from the Prem and tipped to do well I thought they were very poor. Conditions certainly didn’t help but thought we played the better football.
Yep for me they were surprisingly poor. Thought Basham looked impressive when he came on but they are toothless upfront. Billy Sharp way off the pace and dealt with easily by Kelly. Mid table at best, I reckon?

If it had been an Eddie side we wouldn't have been hanging on for dear life tbf.

Agree ,in our 14/15 season I had absolute belief in our defence.Even when we went behind (sometimes by two goals ,I had faith in the defence not conceding more ,and our attack to do the business.

P.S.I've noticed that it's been mentioned that SU had a goal disallowed , did they, or did I miss something?

Last edited:
Even more of a joke… Mepham gets a five minute 8 yet Parker gets a 6 because his tactics of sitting on a lead (bringing on an extra centre back) are going to catch up and bite us. The player he brought on was Mepham…:unsure:

Come on Neil, you are better than that. Don’t expect you to be making remarks like that. Is it not possible to acknowledge that Mepham did well when he came on, but at the same time hold the opinion that the best way to see the game out is not to go ultra defensive in the first place? I think you seem like a smart guy so don’t go stooping to the levels of the likes of CherryBare please.

I thought he was the pick of our 10 defenders for that 5 minutes tbf....:grinning:

At least an 8 obviously, it was a massive 10 minutes of the game
I’m aware you’re being sarcastic but with the way we set up to hold on to a lead, yes it was. You clearly have trouble understanding basic concepts so let me try to explain, I can only rate a player for his time on the pitch, the fact that he only played ten minutes is irrelevant.

Come on Neil, you are better than that. Don’t expect you to be making remarks like that. Is it not possible to acknowledge that Mepham did well when he came on, but at the same time hold the opinion that the best way to see the game out is not to go ultra defensive in the first place? I think you seem like a smart guy so don’t go stooping to the levels of the likes of CherryBare please.

Why isn't that the best way of seeing a game out? We've accumulated sh*t loads of points doing just that even if one day we end up drawing.

I’m aware you’re being sarcastic but with the way we set up to hold on to a lead, yes it was. You clearly have trouble understanding basic concepts so let me try to explain, I can only rate a player for his time on the pitch, the fact that he only played ten minutes is irrelevant.
So if he came on for 1 minute would that be irrelevant too?
How long do you need to be on for it to be relevant? Am I stooping to more levels with my opinions?

;