Jack Wilshere

Might end up signing on with Ryan Allsop. Depends who makes the cut. Derby are only allowed to sign so many and they currently have more trialists than they have EFL sanctioned spots in their squad.

Would be an awful signing for them if they were to use up one of their limited squad spaces on him. His legs have gone, he’s not up to the championship anymore.

Would be an awful signing for them if they were to use up one of their limited squad spaces on him. His legs have gone, he’s not up to the championship anymore.

I’m not sure I agree, thought Jack did ok for us. Was always short of being fully fit. Would say Championship is his level at the moment and if he does sign for Derby the best of luck to him.

No offers for Jack yet, apparently. I do think we were right to release him because he wasn't the same Jack as a few years ago for us but feel for him. Wonder if the USA would be a good destination for him? Couple of years there could be great for him and his family and then maybe he could get into a coaching or pundit role. He does seem to enjoy putting his thoughts online, so he'd probably be a good pundit ultimately.

He’s best off going to a retirement league like the MLS and picking up a big buck while he still can.

I think a couple of years in the US would be amazing. How many people get that opportunity?

No offers for Jack yet, apparently. I do think we were right to release him because he wasn't the same Jack as a few years ago for us but feel for him. Wonder if the USA would be a good destination for him? Couple of years there could be great for him and his family and then maybe he could get into a coaching or pundit role. He does seem to enjoy putting his thoughts online, so he'd probably be a good pundit ultimately.
Radio 5 had him as a pundit during the Euros.

SSN

WILSHERE: RETIREMENT CROSSES MY MIND

Jack Wilshere is contemplating retiring from football at just 29-years-old, report The Athletic.

Wilshere’s career has been decimated by injuries and is currently a free agent.

When asked if retirement has crossed his mind, he said: “Yeah, that does cross my mind quite a lot.

“When you're at a club and training every day, you wake up and if you're not in a team, or even if you are in the team, you think, ‘Right, I've got to train well today. I need to show the manager I'm ready for the weekend’. I don't have that.

“So I'm waking up in the mornings at the moment and I'm thinking, ‘Right, I need to go and train somewhere’. Normally it's on my own… OK, I've been training with a club in pre-season but that's finished now.

“I'm back to waking up, training on my own and finding that motivation.

“And the question I keep asking myself at the moment is: What am I doing it for?”

I’m not saying we would or should... but playing the Kilkenny role in the Parker system might have actually worked for Wilshere. If he was prepared to play for similar money ...

SSN

WILSHERE: RETIREMENT CROSSES MY MIND

Jack Wilshere is contemplating retiring from football at just 29-years-old, report The Athletic.

Wilshere’s career has been decimated by injuries and is currently a free agent.

When asked if retirement has crossed his mind, he said: “Yeah, that does cross my mind quite a lot.

“When you're at a club and training every day, you wake up and if you're not in a team, or even if you are in the team, you think, ‘Right, I've got to train well today. I need to show the manager I'm ready for the weekend’. I don't have that.

“So I'm waking up in the mornings at the moment and I'm thinking, ‘Right, I need to go and train somewhere’. Normally it's on my own… OK, I've been training with a club in pre-season but that's finished now.

“I'm back to waking up, training on my own and finding that motivation.

“And the question I keep asking myself at the moment is: What am I doing it for?”
That's really quite a sad situation, he has so much talent but has been appallingly injury-prone. To potentially have to quit at 29 must be a real blow to him

PS I know there will be people who point out that he's got enough money to last a lifetime, so it doesn't really matter. That's not the point, though

Playing in warmer climes may help with injuries.

I wonder if he should do as Joe Cole did and play in a continental league where flair players are allowed more time on the ball.

;