Recruitment war- Parker vs Demin

I don’t think anyone is saying he isn’t a proper footballing person but those stats don’t make an impressive director of football. Gazza had a more impressive playing career but I wouldn’t have him as a director of football.

I’m saying he isn’t recruiting sensibly and strategically and this may be because he is not a professional director of football. interesting that Eddie went for Dan Ashworth at Newcastle who hasn’t played at the level Hughes has but had done an incredible job at Brighton. He didn’t come back for Hughes.

The players in our squad we call PL players, Lerma, Kelly, Smith, Solanke were signed in Eddie’s time. Since he left our signings have been questionable and short term.

Laird, Cahill, Phillips, Cantwell, Davis, Marcondes, Dembele, Moore, Woodman, the other keeper that couldn’t kick straight and probably a few others I’ve forgotten last season and only Moore is expected to feature from the lot of them this season.

It’s just poor strategy: the North Korean bunch will cling to the fact it got us promoted and they weren’t meant to be signings for the future but that’s only applicable if you have a strategy to replace them which we didn’t and if the owner knew that which he didn’t. You then end up starting the worlds toughest league with one elite level Centre back. This is what Parker is whinging about (not in the right way). They also appointed a manager who needs a lot of money and had a track record of destroying morale when he doesn’t get it.

It’s abysmal. Amateur. And they pay themselves a fortune to deliver this crap.
Spot on. Why so many can’t see it is a mystery.

You might end up being right but let's face it you don't have any credibility whatsoever when you make doom laden predictions.

You attempting to patronise me after humiliating yourself last year with this sort of stuff and then having to change your username out of sheer embarrassment is hilarious btw.
I wasn’t attempting to patronise you, it was a genuine question which you haven’t answered. I’d suspect that the answer is no, as if you had you’d be aware that they players listed are clearly way short of the required quality to compete in what the PL has now become.

The evidence so far suggests that the strategy was to get promoted, and rebalance the books including starting the training ground to get some of that tangible Premier League era legacy that some of us wanted. I don’t think the strategy ever included another massive outlay to ensure Premier League survival, it does prepare us to have a strong Championship squad ready for another promotion push Hence signings like Tavs, Rothwell etc.

I am ok with that. Championship is much more fun for a club like ours.

With that said, Parker’s defeatist and self protection attitude is not ok and I can’t see it being tolerated for long. He will be told to stop or I think will be removed.

I don’t think anyone is saying he isn’t a proper footballing person but those stats don’t make an impressive director of football. Gazza had a more impressive playing career but I wouldn’t have him as a director of football.

I’m saying he isn’t recruiting sensibly and strategically and this may be because he is not a professional director of football. interesting that Eddie went for Dan Ashworth at Newcastle who hasn’t played at the level Hughes has but had done an incredible job at Brighton. He didn’t come back for Hughes.

The players in our squad we call PL players, Lerma, Kelly, Smith, Solanke were signed in Eddie’s time. Since he left our signings have been questionable and short term.

Laird, Cahill, Phillips, Cantwell, Davis, Marcondes, Dembele, Moore, Woodman, the other keeper that couldn’t kick straight and probably a few others I’ve forgotten last season and only Moore is expected to feature from the lot of them this season.

It’s just poor strategy: the North Korean bunch will cling to the fact it got us promoted and they weren’t meant to be signings for the future but that’s only applicable if you have a strategy to replace them which we didn’t and if the owner knew that which he didn’t. You then end up starting the worlds toughest league with one elite level Centre back. This is what Parker is whinging about (not in the right way). They also appointed a manager who needs a lot of money and had a track record of destroying morale when he doesn’t get it.

It’s abysmal. Amateur. And they pay themselves a fortune to deliver this crap.

He wanted Hughes at Celtic though didn't he.

So they slash the wage bill two years running and use short-term contracts and loans to get us in pa position to challenge for promotion whilst also putting the club in a sustainable position if we missed out and you think there was no plan? You're bending over backwards to stick to your pre conceived prejudices.

I wasn’t attempting to patronise you, it was a genuine question which you haven’t answered. I’d suspect that the answer is no, as if you had you’d be aware that they players listed are clearly way short of the required quality to compete in what the PL has now become.
You did an exceptional job...as usual

So they slash the wage bill two years running and use short-term contracts and loans to get us in pa position to challenge for promotion whilst also putting the club in a sustainable position if we missed out and you think there was no plan? You're bending over backwards to stick to your pre conceived prejudices.
Short term contracts?

Marcondes- 3 years
Dembele- 3 and a half years
Lowe- 3 years
Stanislas- 2 years
Christie- 3 years

I like to look at both ways in what was said re recruitment before the window closes.

It could be that Scott Parker learnt lessons from his time at Fulham after getting them promoted and then relegated.

He sees what us the fans don’t see every day out on the training ground and also off it when he is with his team.

He knows the teams strengths and weaknesses and any issues/problems certain players may have off the field.

In asking for extra players in certain positions is not an insult to the players he has, he could be thinking all the staff and players did the utmost to get us back into the Premier League and he doesn’t want all that good work to be wasted by one season in this league and relegated again.

If he can get the extra players who may just make that difference, then I can understand his comments recently.

You think he wanted Hughes at Celtic. That was newspaper speculation as to why he didn’t go, I’d imagine because he didn’t fancy Scotland and knew he had a better destiny South of the wall. Had he been that keen on Hughes he’d be living in Northumberland now…

As for this short term contract yo yo club strategy you proclaim as others have said it wasn’t short term contracts but even if you weren’t misguided on that and it was true then why appoint a manager with a track history of huge player turnover, high demands and a need for proven talent. That’s my point about strategy. There isn’t one. Eddie was the strategy and they thought they could do it without him.

I can very easily answer your question. I've seen AFCB live in the premier league about 140 times and another dozen or so times on the telly. I also pay for Sky, Amazon and BT sport on which I watch an average of about four PL games a week.

Now why don't you answer the question about why anyone on here would take any doom laden predictions of yours seriously when you humiliated yourself last year to the extent that you had to pretend to be a different person to escape the embarrassment?

Last edited:
You think he wanted Hughes at Celtic. That was newspaper speculation as to why he didn’t go, I’d imagine because he didn’t fancy Scotland and knew he had a better destiny South of the wall. Had he been that keen on Hughes he’d be living in Northumberland now…

As for this short term contract yo yo club strategy you proclaim as others have said it wasn’t short term contracts but even if you weren’t misguided on that and it was true then why appoint a manager with a track history of huge player turnover, high demands and a need for proven talent. That’s my point about strategy. There isn’t one. Eddie was the strategy and they thought they could do it without him.
You cant substantiate your 1st para..."imagine"

Short term contracts?

Marcondes- 3 years
Dembele- 3 and a half years
Lowe- 3 years
Stanislas- 2 years
Christie- 3 years
Ssshhh…. Don’t bring facts into it.

Why don't you two chaps go back and read the post I was responding to, specifically the players Neil mentioned as examples of poor transfer policies. They are right there in his fourth paragraph if you need a pointer.

How come neither of you ever respond when it's pointed out to you that there was a clear short and long-term plan that covered two scenarios? You both just ignore it every time.

You cant substantiate your 1st para..."imagine"
No because I don’t know. Not many proven Pl managers go to Scotland and I assume his agent was working on stuff they knew would become available through consortium purchases down Souh so I am imagining. Maybe he didn’t like the weather or the poor diet. Or maybe like Del says it’s because he couldn’t get a member of personnel to go despite not wanting that member of personnel in his next role a few months later.

Why don't you two chaps go back and read the post I was responding to, specifically the players Neil mentioned as examples of poor transfer policies. They are right there in his fourth paragraph if you need a pointer.

How come neither of you ever respond when it's pointed out to you that there was a clear short and long-term plan that covered two scenarios? You both just ignore it every time.
What’s the long term plan. Am I missing it?

Yes I do think he wanted Hughes at Celtic. Why on earth would Scottish newspapers make up stories about Richard Hughes of all people? The stories came out before he turned them down btw. Your logic doesn't stand up at all - Hughes might have turned down a move north full stop or perhaps they just rate the Brighton guy as a better option. That doesn't prove Howe doesn't rate him at all does it.

As I say, you listed all of the short term contracts as evidence in your earlier post. To recap...

Nyland
Cahill
Brady
Davis
Rogers
Laird
Phillips
Woodman
Cantwell

9/15 signings short term. Additionally all of the longer term signings were cheap options who had run their contract down. So, I'm clearly not misguided and there was an obvious strategy in play last season. A successful one at that.

Reactions: DJ

;