Callum Signs

I don’t think Callum is our best player but he’s probably the most vital. Was it 15 goals and 9 assists? Take that away from us and we’d be in big trouble.

No one would dispute that Aké is a better player. But if we lost him, there is simply no way our goals against would jump from 70 to 85. Even with Elphick in the side, the defence held firm (well statistically not any worse!)

In time Solanke might end up better than Callum. Until that time, we cannot afford to lose his goals. That’s why the club is right to do whatever it takes to keep him for at least another year.

Some of the bullsh#t on finance that tumbles onto this thread..

Yikes ..
UnReal bullsh#t....not relevant to actual football played on the pitch.

as is the stuff you find on the Miura cattle ranch near Seville..quality stuff, and scattered ..you can step around it...but then I suppose you can with this crap if you want to...

Christ...why didnt I think of this before...
Ditch squad numbers.....have their weekly wage figures on shirts instead.. i.e 100 k plus sell by date (contract expiry date).
Well ..thats what the punters seem to be engaging with!

England striker ? What friggin chips does that fry....substitute and low profile games...plus England are shite and win f#ck all .

shut it cornish boy ;-) wot u ever won? tin mining world cup? most guinness on a thursday lunchtime cup?

Hey Snooty, can you spare one of your nurses? I think someone needs a little more medication, perhaps he's solar powered

There's almost as much utter rubbish in here as there is in the Brexit thread
You are right cockbeard.... This is becomming Brexit mark however many.... £ per goal... Top 3 players... Shouldnt we get a battlebus....
The realism is... Can we afford to hand a 14 goal player 100k per week on long term contract when we have a 17 goal player who could arguably want more because they are our leading overall premier league scorer... My answer to either or fraser or ake or any other squad player is no........

I think he is good value for money if you think goals win matches (my figs could well be not exact to the pound, Sources wikipedia, plantfootball and googles premier league table)

2016/17 - TV money, prize money and equal share = £123,800,000. We scored 55 prem goals, giving a avg figure of £2,251,000 per goal. Wilson scored 6 therefore he earned the club £13,505,454 mill.

2017/18 - £111,200,000 / 45 gls total / avg £2,471,000 / Wilson had 8 goals making £19,768,000

2018/19 - £105,000,000 / 56 gls total / avg £1,875,000 / Wilson scored 14 goals making £26,250,000

In three seasons he has contributed £59,523,454 mill out of a total of £340,000,000. Call it a 5th of inclome.

Problem with contracts is they reward past dues, but in the future so you hope they give a return. But even in the worst of the last three season, he would have given over a 100% return on these new wages (100k x 52). The last two seasons he would have been on around 3-3.5 mill (guessing) so he has been value for money imo.

The above is a very crude way of looking at it, and I know he is not 100% the reason for all those goals and others play a vital role, but strikers are rewarded and unfortunately to keep players you have to pay market rate, even if you think its inflated.

I think 100k a week is good value, maybe even a bit under what he could get. Its probably got bonuses as well, eg could work out at 100k pw if you score more than 10.

Just a thought.
By this logic every goal prevented (by any AFCB player) should also count the same. You have to score more than you let in.

Well most on here seem to agree that as an out and out striker, King is better which I agree with

Do they??? I must have them on block :goes off to check:, nope no-one on block.
King works very hard, is better with the ball facing goal, but Wilson is definitely the better finisher/striker. I wouldn't call King a #10 but he's certainly more that than Callum is, or that Callum is a better #9 whichever way you choose to read that

The discussions about pay parity are easily checked. How manay players signed new contracts after we signed Begovic?? Because that's how many players think they deserve pay parity with the club's top earners, I'm pretty sure that was Callum and not anyone else. Pretending that it will cause disruptions in the dressing room are ridiculous, unless of course some of you guys are itk and well aware of already fraught relationships that could be pushed over the brink by petty jealousy

King is better at making a goal for himself. Too many times when I’ve seen King play, I see balls whipped across the face of goal where Wilson would be waiting but he is still outside the box. King is probably the more talented footballer but doesn’t have Wilson’s predatory instinct.

In terms of a player earning more than his teammates I can onLy quote what several former pros have stated. That is as long as the player is doing his job and the team winning the dressing room won’t care.

Give King and Wilson 10 one-on-ones each, and King will score more of them. Wilson is downright wasteful at times.

However in most other respects I think Wilson is better. Battling defenders and maintaining pressure, hold up play and setting up others, generally keeping the shape. Wilson is pretty consistent, almost always a solid performance and doesn't go hiding.

Add up all those qualities and perhaps Wilson edges it, but King is so close.

Yet maddeningly they rarely seem to link up together fluidly!

King is better at making a goal for himself. Too many times when I’ve seen King play, I see balls whipped across the face of goal where Wilson would be waiting but he is still outside the box. King is probably the more talented footballer but doesn’t have Wilson’s predatory instinct.

In terms of a player earning more than his teammates I can onLy quote what several former pros have stated. That is as long as the player is doing his job and the team winning the dressing room won’t care.
On the last point, I would agree, except for the fact we're not Man City and winning most games. We will inevitably have rough patches of the season where we see a string of defeats, and need the spirit and fight that we know and love from previous tinpot years to see us through. It's those times when small fault lines caused by misshapen wage structures can start to crack. Judging by clubs with talent who we've relegated over the years IMO.

King , Wilson , Fraser ???? We can all agree to disagree on here but the only 2 people who decide who stays and who goes and how much they get paid for doing it are Eddie and Jason. No more Brexit threads please !!!!!

Give King and Wilson 10 one-on-ones each, and King will score more of them. Wilson is downright wasteful at times.

However in most other respects I think Wilson is better. Battling defenders and maintaining pressure, hold up play and setting up others, generally keeping the shape. Wilson is pretty consistent, almost always a solid performance and doesn't go hiding.

Add up all those qualities and perhaps Wilson edges it, but King is so close.

Yet maddeningly they rarely seem to link up together fluidly!

All up for debate of course, but, I don’t agree on the one on ones. King goes for power, Wilson goes for accuracy. One is an element of hope, one is more clinical and confident.

Both need confidence and with confidence both score the goals.

Wilson creates more chances with his positioning, King creates more chances with a touch or three.

The only areas King is better than Wilson is out side of the box and down a flank using his power.

On the last point, I would agree, except for the fact we're not Man City and winning most games. We will inevitably have rough patches of the season where we see a string of defeats, and need the spirit and fight that we know and love from previous tinpot years to see us through. It's those times when small fault lines caused by misshapen wage structures can start to crack. Judging by clubs with talent who we've relegated over the years IMO.
Yep that’s a fair point. Benik Afobe and Brett Pitman were both excellent at defending set pieces when at the time, were likely close to the top earners. Callum doesn’t quite contribute the same way

shut it cornish boy ;-) wot u ever won? tin mining world cup? most guinness on a thursday lunchtime cup?

Ha!...I aint Cornish.....I be Dorset born! Poole...family from Purbeck one side...Somerset the other!
This Thursday afternoon ive been in the pub watching Cricket...drinking pineapple J20 as I was driving!
If we dont criticise the England football team...they will continue to win Nothing and not live up to the likes of Matthews , Finney, Greaves, Charlton etc.
We are utter Sh#te...you know it ...I know it....the Pope and half of China knows it....we cannot hide behind a suit and tie and a few trumpets and drums...we have to let them know instead of gushing over lack- lustre quarter final no shows!

;